Thursday, May 04, 2017

Spring into Horror Readathon Wrap Up


Two weeks have come and gone, which means Spring into Horror has come to a close. In the above vlog I share my thoughts on how the readathon went, how much I read and the ones that got away. Overall it was a positive experience, and I am really happy that I branched outside my normal reading comfort zone. I have a feeling I will keep horror titles in rotation of reading in the future.

The readathon started off a bit rocky as I was a bit hit and miss with my selections, and didn't settle on what exactly to read until I was well into the readathon. This led me to a feeling of being on edge as I hadn't "finished" anything, and that was a weight I carried for the majority of the readathon. For future readathons, I think I need to either set myself up for an early win with a short work or simply get over needing to finish something to feel like it was a success.


My favourite read was Mongrels by Stephen Graham Jones, which landed on my TBR after reading the Barnes and Noble Best Horror of 2016 List. This is a list I will definitely keep for reference and continue to work though reading the other books on the list. One of the most exciting things about this experiences is to have a whole new genre to explore.

Fellow #SpringHorror YouTubers:
Maija Reads
Reads and Eats
Bookworm Eve
JohntheBookishGnome
SewIRead

Books and Stories Finished:
The Call of Cthulhu by H.P. Lovecraft
The Descendant by H.P. Lovecraft
He by H.P. Lovecraft
Thinner by Stephen King | via Audiobook, Narrated by Joe Mantegna
Mongrels by Stephen Graham Jones
The Turn of the Screw by Henry James

Books Started and Still Working On:
Meg by Steve Alten
Gothic Tales by Elizabeth Gaskell (Penguin Classics)
The Darkest Night by Gena Showalter (Lords of the Underworld #1)

Find out more about Spring into Horror at Seasons of Reading here.

Find Me Online:
GoodReads
YouTube
Instagram
Twitter




2 comments:

Michelle Miller said...

I'm running behind on wrap-up visits, but here I am and I wanted to thank you again for participating. I'm working on the giveaway now so keep an eye on your email inbox (and spam folder, just in case).

You should never feel pressured during my readathons. It's all about having fun. Inside secret...I rarely finish a book. lol

That being said, you did great! I love Lovecraft stories and James' The Turn of the Screw is one of my faves. I'll be interested to know what you think of Meg (leave me a post in the Facebook group, if you like). I think they are finally making the movie. I hope so. I think it could be a good one, if done right. I'd actually like to reread it, as I listened on audio years ago, at work, so I don't think I was able to give it my full attention.

Shannon said...

Thank you so much for the comment, and for stopping by Michelle!

I had a lot of fun doing Spring into Horror, it really got me outside my comfort zone for reading and I found some great new titles and learned a lot about my reading habits. Learning not to succumb to pressure was a big learning, and it really isn't the spirit of the readathon so knowing that is something I will definitely take to heart in the future.

I'm glad to hear Turn of the Screw is one of your faves! It mostly went over my head, but I think I will try it again as I like spooky stories. Meg is being adapted to film, that's how it got on my radar (I love book to film adaptations). I think it's slated to come out in 2018, but it's already been pushed back ones. I'm really enjoying it so far, and will definitely swing by Facebook with some thoughts!