Summer TV 2016 ~ Where to Watch TV Shows Online In Canada
It's June, which means it's time to start getting serious about Summer TV. We've heard what the Upfronts are for the Fall seasons, but before we get to crisp fall walks and the turning of leaves, let's enjoy the baking sun and zaniness of summer TV.
I have a lot that I'm looking forward to this summer, including a few shows I missed last year: Wayward Pines, Zoo, Dark Matter and The Killjoys. I like my scifi in the summer, and all of these promise to deliver on this front. And both Zoo and Wayward Pines have that kind of slant alongside a conspiracy feel which is always a fun summer adventure. Adding to the mysterious feel we'll also get new series of American Gothic and and BrainDead. Plus, there are summer reality TV favourites to enjoy including The Amazing Race Canada and Big Brother. This summer will have a bit of a different rhythm to it for the huge event of the Summer Olympics in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil which will be from August 5 - 21, 2016. I love the Olympics, especially the summer ones, so I'll be spending a lot of time in August watching that.
For this summer listing, I've put the all the summer premieres together, both the new and returning shows as overall we won't get quite as many over the next few months. Anything new or returning as of June 1, 2016 will go under New Series and Summer Premieres, along with a few shows that premiered in May. Any show that still has more episodes to air, like Houdini and Doyle, The Path or Containment, but is well into it's season, will go under Continuing Series.
My goal is to have this list include shows that are available to watch online in Canada, with no login required. A few slipped through the cracks in Spring, often with shows that have the first episode open to everyone and then need a log in. Sneaky!
If you are looking for an earlier in the year show that has already completed, check out the Spring 2016 listing here. If you are looking for thoughts on specific shows, you can check my TV Musings Vlogs on my YouTube Channel.
This list will be updated as new shows become available at their legitimate Canadian Broadcasters websites including CBC, CTV and CTV2, Global, CityTV, Space, Showcase, Slice, HGTV Canada, MTV Canada, Food Network, Discovery and History.
New Series and Summer Premieres
- The $100,000 Pyramid (Series Premiere) on CTV
- The Amazing Race Canada (Season 4) on CTV
- American Gothic (Series Premiere) on Global
- American Ninja Warrior (Season 8) on CTV
- The Bachelorette (Season 12) on CityTV
- Baroness von Sketch Show (Series Premiere) on CBC
- Beauty and the Beast (Season 4) on Showcase
- Between (Season 2) on CityTV
- Big Brother (Season 18) on Global
- BrainDead (Series Premiere) on Global
- Follow the Money (Series Premiere) on CBC
- Food Network Star (Season 12) on Food Network Canada
- Killjoys (Season 2) on Space
- MasterChef (Season 7) on CTV
- Match Game (Series Premiere) on CTV
- Mistresses (Season 4) on CTV
- Preacher (Series Premiere) on AMC
- Private Eyes (Series Premiere) on Global
- Still Standing (Series Premiere) on CBC
- UnREAL (Season 2) on Lifetime Canada
- Wayward Pines (Season 2) on CityTV
- Zoo (Season 2) on CTV
- The Aliens on Space
- Containment on Global
- Home Free on HGTV.ca
- Houdini and Doyle (Series Premiere) on Global
- Hunters (Series Premiere) on Showcase
- Masterchef Canada (Season 3) on CTV
- The Musketeers (Season 3) on Showcase
- Orphan Black (Season 4) on Space
- The Path (Series Premiere) on Showcase
- Person of Interest (Season 5) on CTV
Can't find what you are looking for? Try the individual Canadian TV broadcasters websites video pages:
- CTV and CTV Two
- Food Network
- FX Canada
- HGTV Canada
- MTV Canada
The mileage can vary on how many episodes and for how long they are available to watch online. A lot of stations only have one episode available for one week after broadcast, and other stations have up to 3 weeks of episodes available. There is often an exceptions for Canadian series (or co-pros) which may have their full season (or series) available. We have better transparency here, with both CTV and Global now indicate when new episodes will be available online and how long it will be available for, and CityTV has a red banner indicating if it is expiring soon. This is a huge help for us who watch shows online.
I love that so much TV is available to watch online or via apps, but not ever show is. I'm hoping one of my faves from last year, UnREAL, is available online but if it isn't there are other options. When this happens, the I suggest looking for it in in iTunes, Google Play Store, the Playstation Store (if you have a Playstation) to see if you can buy it. Although it's not free, the big pay off when you buy is that there are no commercials, no expiry dates and you can re-watch to your heart's desire. Occasionally, a show will also air weekly episodes on Netflix, such as with Scream, which is returning with it's second season this summer.
* A few online viewing options do not have a specific page for watching a singular show, but rather a video player for watching any of their offerings. In those cases I've put the link to the broadcasters website, as opposed to the show. Then either select the show if it's displayed prominently, or click their video library, select your show, the season and then the episode.