Thursday, June 09, 2016

Summer Adventures 2016




Now that it's June it officially feels like summer, and that means I think we can be confident there will be NO SNOW for a few months. I love the prettiness of winter, but it does make it hard to get around. That's why now that it's nice out, I'm really too look ahead to Summer Adventures! It's a place where I can share plans for the summer months, be they big or small or somewhere in between. I hope this will also help me back to a blogging rhythm, and free up the question of what to blog about because I can always share updates on any of these adventures!

Neighbourhood Adventures
When I moved, I didn’t move that far but the neighbourhood still feels pretty new to me. Now that it’s nice outside, I want to start checking out different places to explore from coffee shops to parks to restaurants. There is even a Little Free Library to check out!


Celebrate my Birthday.
It’s a big one this year. Haven’t quite decided what I’m up to, but I know I want to do something special. Maybe a party. Who knows?


Science Fiction/Fantasy/Weird Fiction Exploration
I know that I love science fiction and fantasy, and that they are my favourite genres regardless of format, but it feels like I'm not reading a lot of books or stories that are science fiction, fantasy or weird. I added weird because I'm sure that anything classified as "weird" is something I want to check out.

Anyway, given I’ve already created a few other reading explorations and follow an online book club, I feel like it’s creating another list-of-books-to-follow-and-check-off doesn't feel quite right. That said, I keep coming back to this idea. I have too many ideas on how to structure it (chronologically? By awards/nominations? Short stories? Alternate genres? Alternate author genders?), and have combed through many, many, many, many lists to pull titles together, but when it gets down to deciding or structuring or committing, I'm flounder.

In an odd turn of how-Shannon-normally-does-things, I may just start reading and see where it takes me instead of laying out it all out first. We'll see what happens!


Eat Seasonally
Recently when I was sorting through some paper stuff I ran across my Good Things Grow in Ontario calendar, and I was so thrilled! I didn’t even remember I had one this year! One of the best things about it is that it has a monthly chart which fruits and vegetables are in season. I’ve already written out all the June fruits and veg and have put it on the fridge.

I hope this will serve as some inspiration to try out some new recipes too. But I’m just as happy to simply wash-n-eat stuff that doesn’t need to be cooked. Hopefully this will be super fun, and healthy, way to enjoy the summer.


Tea Exploration
Keeping the food theme going, I now turn to tea. For years, I’ve used sweetener in my tea but I kind of passively stumbled into not having it. Thing is, tea does not taste the same. And I'm not loving it. And I drink a lot of tea. But, I realized that might just be the tea I have right now. What about other teas? Maybe there is one out there that I like without it. I still plan on having milk with caffeinated teas, I can shift so far at one time!

I'm trying to think of this as fun as opposed to a problem to solve, turning it into an exploration seemed the natural thing to do. I could be fun to try different kinds of teas and see if any holds up just with milk. Who knows, I might just be fine one I really like.


Gaming Exploration
It feels like it's time to put my PS4 to use other than simply streaming movies, TV and YouTube videos. While all of those are great, it’s also a gaming console. I might as well use it as one! Although I’ve never been a console gamer, I have always enjoyed games, and given that I can’t play them at the computer anymore I might as well use my PS4 to get back to something I enjoy.

I know this is a bit of a weird one to do in the summer with it being nice outside, but I realized that the competition for game-time wasn’t the weather... it was TV. I have lots of TV shows I watch, but now that we’re into the slimmer pickings of summer I have more time to game.

I think I’ll go a little less structured on this exploration and simply try stuff out and see what it’s like. I do want to get a handle on different game genres and styles though, to figure out what kinds I like. I’ve already started this exploration, and you can see my Tea and Tomb Raider streams.


The Summer Supernatural Re-Watch
Okay, I have to have at least one TV venture on this list! And my Summer Supernatural Re-Watch was a tradition for several summers, but the past few years I haven't been able to make it happen. Now that they are 11 seasons and heading into their 12th, I feel like it's a CRAZY amount of episodes to watch. Which, of course, means I want to try it out.

From THEN to NOW, it's always interesting to see THE ROAD SO FAR from the beginning, One More Time.


Be Involved in SOMETHING. Or start SOMETHING.
I am feeling the pull to be move involved in something. I don’t know what, or if the what matters, but I just know I keep feeling the drive to be involved. I don’t quite know what shape this will take form, but there is something trying to happen here and I really hope I can get it moving.

Fairy Tale Summer
I’m signed up for Carla Sonheim’s Fairy Tale Summer class, which I am so excited about. It’s 8 weeks long and we create stuff based on 8 Fairy Tales. I can't wait!!! This along with Y is for Yellow year long class will definitely keep my artistic muscles going.

En Masse Journal
Okay, this one is a bonus one that I thought of while I writing this post up. It’s a relatively new idea to me, but Jamie mentioned it a few weeks ago and I’ve been devouring YouTube videos on it, including the originator Shannon Green’s videos. The basic idea is that you create a journal that has a page per item/theme/etc, where you glue corresponding images. You can have a Blue page or a Flowers page, or one for Animals or Go Karts. It’s part scavenger hunt part collage madness. Often people start with the base of a magazine, which is what I'm doing. I’ve already started mine, and I love it every time I work on it. I hope to do figure out how to do video flip throughs so I can share the process.

Wow. That's a lot! I had no idea how many things I wanted to give a go this summer. Amazing what happens when you start writing stuff down.

I would love to hear what your Summer Adventures will be.



4 comments:

Suzie Ridler said...

It IS an important birthday coming up! I do hope you celebrate big-time Shannon and wow, so many amazing things to do this summer. Gaming through the nights sounds good to me, there is zilch on this summer for TV so far. I love that little free library, so cool you have one in the hood. Tea and food exploration is a cool idea too. So much good stuff!

Rosie Grey said...

How exciting to plan adventures for summer! I love that idea and will think about that - I want to define some summer adventures for me, too!

Rosie Grey said...

Oh, and when is your birthday, so that I can send some birthday wishes? 😃

Shannon said...

YAY for birthdays. I gotta get on planning that, lol And more of these adventures. I sense an update coming soon! And My bday is July 23rd :)