Monday, June 06, 2016

May 2016 Reading Wrap Up


May was another mammoth reading month for me, and a bit of a heavier one especially given I made it though the audiobook of The Iliad. That's an epic book! I actually really want to read The Odyssey and I have a paper copy of it so reading The Iliad was a bit of a precursor to that. However, I think I need a break from the epic. My brain hurts.

I did have some lighter reads, including the awesome scifi/fantasy book Clean Sweep that had almost every fantastical element I like but in a current day setting. Love that! I also read a few short stories, including keeping up with more HP Lovecraft (I don't know if I'll ever finish the 1000+ page anthology I'm reading). Overall, I thought it was a pretty good reading month even if I didn't get to a Canadian title or a Shakespeare play, but there is always next month!

Books Mentioned:

  • Those Books: The Iliad by Homer
  • Non-Fiction: Paranormal State by Ryan Buell
  • Book Club *: Silver on the Road by Laura Anne Gilman
  • Book Club Alternate: Clean Sweep by Ilona Andrews
  • Short Story: Wendigo by K.T. Bryski, Toronto Star Short Story Contest Winner
  • HP Lovecraft story: The Music of Erich Zahn by HP Lovecraft
  • Fantasy/Science Fiction and Book to Film Adaptation-ish: Day of the Dragon by Richard A Knack (WarCraft Series)

The Book Club I follow if the Vaginal Fantasy Book Club, and their hangout to discuss the May selection of Silver on the Road will be tomorrow, June 7, 2016. I enjoyed the book, even with the slow burn pace but the forums were pretty split on how they felt about the book, I wonder how the ladies will feel about it. I can't wait to find out.

Given it was a heavier ready month, I am curious about this whole "Summer Reads" thing. I have never done it, and don't quite know where to start. Do you switch to summer reads in the warm months? I would love to hear your take on summer reads, and any book or author suggestions.

Love books? See more reading goodness on my YouTube Channel or friend me on GoodReads!

No comments: