Saturday, May 07, 2016

Henry IV Part I: The Hollow Crown (Watching Shakespeare)


I'm continuing on my Shakespeare journey, and after reading Henry IV Part I it was time to watch an adaptation, and I chose The Hollow Crown version starring Jeremy Irons, Tom Hiddleston, Julie Walters, Joe Armstrong and Simon Russell Beale.

Although watching this version cleared up some of the things I felt confused about from simply reading the play, it also brought up new questions. I also re-watched Richard II before diving into this one, and that helped because it clarified some of the characters that are in both of the plays. There is still quite a learning curve, and I feel like I'm missing a few things. But I was able to get really grounded by watching this AWESOME video on what happens in the play, all with Finger puppet. Next time, I think I'll watch the finger puppet version of the play before watching a full on production.

Even though this one was tough and I like to alternate between the histories, comedies and tragedies, I know I'm going to go straight to Henry IV Part II because this one really does leaves you on the precipice of something bigger. As much as I'd love to switch gears, I know it would be helpful to continue on with the same characters. I might take a minibreak, but I'll get back to the Henry's soon enough.

Have you see The Hollow Crown version of Henry IV Part I. I'd love to hear your thoughts!

See the home base for My Shakespeare Project here.


No comments: