Wednesday, May 11, 2016

A Quieter Week




I'm very tired today, but I wanted to drop in a quick post mostly to see if I could do a quick post. I can get all too carried away with and all-or-nothing mindset so I'm testing out what something in between that t would be. Just because I don't have a lot of energy, doesn't mean I don't have anything to share. I also find that if I leave posting for too long then I have way to much to update and the post gets crazy long (which actually happened again in this post).

I feel that part of getting back in the habit of blogging is also realizing that as much as I like regularity, it's not always the way in which things happen. For example, I've been recently sharing new and returning shows on Mondays, but this week there weren't any shows to discuss. I also recently started participating in Top 5 Wednesdays over on YouTube and have since decided it's not a great fit for me. I love YouTubing, and I've met some cool new people to subscribe too, but I noticed that every week I was taking a 'creative approach' to the question which made me realize that perhaps I'm not the demo for the group. And that's okay. Part of trying something new is being okay with it not working out and letting it go. That's HUGE learning for me. I like to stick to things once I start them!

On the TV front, even though there was nothing new this week, I still have some recent shows that I want to try out like the new British scifi series The Aliens. I'm also really curious about Hunters on Showcase. Both are totally up my alley. Hopefully I can watch the first episode to see if I'll like them. Last week I checked out Houdini and Doyle and really enjoyed it. The characters are fascinating, all three (yes, there is a third... Constable Adelaide Stratton), have achieved an impressive level of success in their respective fields but all are looking to achieve a higher goal. I find that fascinating. Plus it's gorgeous. I'm a sucker for great art direction and atmosphere, and Houdini and Doyle has lots of it. Speaking of beautiful shows, it's wonderful to have Penny Dreadful back. That one just comes alive on screen.




As I've been pretty tired these days, I've been doing lots of reading. I talk a lot about books over at YouTube, but I like to mention them here too. I recently finished Fire Touched, which is the 9th book in the Mercy Thompson series by Patricia Briggs. I started this series last September, and it took me a while to warm up to it. The central character, Mercy, can shift into a coyote and has a day job of being a mechanic. Given that I've read nine books, I can now say I'm back on track of being a big fan. I do find it challenging to talk about books that are so far into a series because even a general idea of the plot can give away the results from major events int he previous books. Instead, I'll just say that I liked it and I like the direction this series is going.

I also got the audiobook of The Iliad out of the library. I've tried audiobooks a few times in the past without much success, but when I heard a sample of the narrator Anton Lesser and I understood what he was saying, and therefore quickly put on a request for the book. I started listening to it on Monday, and I am doing some art while I listen. So far, it's been a pretty good pairing although when I get really focused on the art I have to rewind the book to re-listen to a section. I hope I won't be doing that too often and if so I might have to switch to something less distracting to do as a pairing.

Okay, so that wasn't really a quick post, was it? In all honestly, I had to take several breaks to finish it which is fine. Maybe that's a good approach to go with.

How do you approach blogging on tired days?




3 comments:

Jamie Ridler Studios said...

I loved this check-in with you, Shannon. It was nice to just have a little chat and hear and see what's up with you. It reminds me how much I like blogging :) Thanks for sharing!

Suzie Ridler said...

Excellent post Shannon! And yes to figuring out what YouTube works for you and what you need to let go of. Fascinating about the Iliad, good choice for listening to since it was written in order to be recited. Love the update Shannon! And I am starting to list the stuff I want to do when I am too tired to do it. Otherwise my brain will obsess about it and worry I'll forget. Me, writing lists, who knew?

Rosie Grey said...

Actually, I haven't found a way yet for myself, being more off than on my blog... Even quick posts seem to be too difficult to do, but then I'm not ready to give up on my blog yet ;-)