Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Top 5 Wednesday: Favourite Mother/Maternal Figures (in Books)


I found it to be another challenging topic this week for Top 5 Wednesdays: Favourite Mother/Maternal Figures. Looking back on the books I've read in the past several years (i.e. those I've tracked via spreadsheet and GoodReads), I didn't find any maternal/mother characters jump off the screen so this is another week where I often have to get creative. This is a challenge I could much more easily do for films than books. Or even book to film adaptations!

The vast majority of the books I read, the protagonists don't have a strong relationship with their mothers. I wonder why that is. Thinking about this more, I also realized that I don't read any books from the perspective of mothers or maternal figures. They must be out there. I imagine it's a whole genre to itself, and also must have a strong presence of maternal figures in family sagas. Maybe it's time to branch out to some new books.

How about you? Who are your favourite mother/maternal characters in books? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Love books? See more reading goodness on my YouTube Channel or friend me on GoodReads!


No comments: