Saturday, April 30, 2016

Impressions of Henry IV Part I (Reading Shakespeare)



In an experiment to test how well I'm understanding the Shakespeare plays from simply reading them, I've decided to vlog my impressions of happened in the play after reading them. So in this vlog I share what I think happened in Henry IV Part I. I've yet to watch an adaptation or read a summary or reviews, so I have no idea how accurate this account is. Please take this as a learners experience over any kind of factual or correct account.

I realize that I tend to focus heavily on the plot and try to get some sense of the character motivations (clear or unclear), but completely ignore themes. That wasn't intentional, but when I'm so focused on understanding what is happening, the why or how or grander picture doesn't always come into focus. Hopefully as I continue to read the plays I will be able to pick up on themes, but for now I think I'll leave it to seeing what I see when I watch an adaptation.

Speaking of, I think I'll go re-watch The Hollow Crown version of Richard II before watching Henry IV Part I as one play does lead into the other, and it's been a while since I watched Richard II. The two films have different actors, but there are some characters that carry over and I think seeing Richard II will shed some light the tension between Hotspur and King Henry. Here's hoping!

This all feels like a continual learning process and I'm trying not going to freak out that I don't get it all on the first pass, especially on the first read. One of the exciting things about Shakespeare is that I feel like with the stories that you enjoy, you can come back to them again and again which means you don't have to get it all the first time. This works with my personality as I enjoy re-watching, re-examining and re-interpreting.

I'd love to hear your impressions of Henry IV Part I. Do you love the play? Have you seen it live or a film version? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

See the home base for My Shakespeare Project here.


No comments: