Monday, March 21, 2016

Update Time ~ Settling In in My New Place



Now that I've done my Pre-Move and had The Move-Move, I've shifted focus to unpacking by settling into the my new place and setting up my new space. I attacked the kitchen first, because... you have to eat so might as well have that settled! Unpacking the kitchen went pretty smoothly, and with most things I knew very quickly what I wanted to keep and what I wanted to give away. The kitchen has been settled for 2 weeks now and feels pretty good. I did have to shift things around a few times to get the flow of having the most used things easily accessible, and it might still get shifted a bit but overall it's feeling pretty good. The one exception to that is that because it's the space where I unpack stuff, anything and everything that needs to be cleaned, decided about, stored for a moment (or a week), ends up being in the kitchen. So, it doesn't quite feel "done" even though it's...done. Ah, well. I'll eventually get there.



The weekend before last I was able to get help from my sister Jamie and her husband to do the 2 big jobs left for the space: putting the big bookcases together and getting the washroom painted. I absolutely love the washroom colour. I've never been one for matchy-poo, but I never thought of it from the perspective of everything working together, because I've never had everything work together before. I love the washroom, and everything works together. It's wonderful! I actually smile any time I think of it. It was easy to get over feeling like it was matchy-poo! For the other job of getting the bookcases together, it was quite a feat but Jamie was a superstar in figuring out how to turn the stack-of-slats to actually real life bookcases. Sadly, they were damaged in the move and there isn't too much I can do about it. I know they are only particleboard, but they are one of the nicest things I have. Luckily, now that they are all together with stuff on them the damage is less noticeable.


Speaking of stuff on the bookcases, that was my big job for the past week or so. I really was looking forward to getting my stuff up and have been quite surprized at the results. I have three bookcases, one that I dedicated for DVDs, and two for books and journals. The one for DVDs filled up very quickly. I knew I wanted certain TV series out and all film series I had, and then I only had about 2 shelves worth left of space and just kind of randomly picked movies to put there. I thought I would be all puff pigeon after and happy, but ... not really the response I actually had. I'm feeling very differently about both film and physical media these days, and I'm not all that sure how much of it I want up on the shelves. I'm sure I'll revisit it (especially as it's only about 1/4 of what I own), but for now it's not quite feeling right. One thing I do like is that I reserved one shelf on the bookcase for books read, sketchbooks and journals filled along with my "project piles", which is creative stuff I like to work on but also like to have an "away" home for, like my colouring books, my glue journal stuff and other projects.



I also spent time working on my bookcases for journals, sketchbooks and books. I first went though all the books and journals in storage, and this took longer than movies and was more challenging for me. Going into the process I thought I would be more likely and excited about unread books than read books. Boy, was I wrong. Like with film, I realized I have a strong priority on series and I have several series that I love and knew I was not only keeping but going to put up on the bookshelves. Unread books were a lot more likely to go in the donation pile, especially if their was any whiff of dust because my allergies can't take it. That's another reason this took longer, my skin started to get irritated pretty quickly and there is no reason to keep a book that's going to do that to me!


After making all the decisions on what to keep, it was time to stack those shelves and for this I was decided to pull out all the new things acquired/filled up since things went into storage so I would have everything at my fingertips when deciding what went where. I ended up with one bookshelf of journals, sketchbooks, and non fiction books and a second bookshelf of favourite fiction books including several series, some references books and two shelves of unread books that I consider my own bookstore at home. I actually love these two bookshelf and have just sat looking at them and smiling. I know that's goofy, but hey, who cares! Overall, I didn't get everything onto the shelves. I pared down a few more of the books, and ended up with 3 bags of books left, with more unread than read. I figure ones I read some from the unread shelf, I can add more from the bags I have to my "store".

But I'm left with the question of what do to do with the new (physical) books that I read. I have set up a shelf for now of books read this year, but after that.. there isn't room for them on the shelves. So what do I do? Get more bookshelves? Add them to the bag read books that I'll tuck away somewhere? Donate them? I know there is the decide-by-book way to go, but the more I think about things and deal with the physical media that I have, the more I wonder about going digital. I have a Kobo for library books, and recently bought a Kindle which I'm really enjoying. Another surprize through this process was realzing just how many books I had in storage that I ended up reading digitally which they were away. It was a fair amount. I do feel that there is something magical about the physical books, and I love that I can give a book to someone, I also feel that for me it might smart to shift to digital. There might be an experiment in order here to test this idea. We'll have to wait and see!

Until there, here is my unread "store" as it stands now. I wonder what I'll read first!






No comments: