Monday, November 02, 2015

October 2015




I've been itching to get back to blogging in a more bloggy style. I get really wound up in having a schedule, a pattern, a plan, however I know that right now that isn't he best way to go. But because I wanted to do it that way and know I shouldn't, I get stuck in a brain loop and then just don't do anything. To break that cycle, I'm to got share some bits and bobs from October 2015. I may do another post like this in November, or I might post now and again, or I might find something else that works. But for today, I want to look back and October. Hang on for the ride!



The big highlight of the month was getting out to see my Auntie Laima! Jamie and I went for a visit and were treated to a lovely lunch, shopping for yarn and fabric, and had a lovely dinner out. It was so nice to have a visit, catch up on what we are all doing, talk about projects, arts, crafts and so much more. Plus, I came home with so much yarn I'll be set for projects all through the winter if not longer. So exciting!!!




Another exciting outing was to get out to see The Martian with Jamie and Justin. I loved it! I don't get out to the movies all that much these days, so when I really like the movie it really feels good. Plus, this is one that I chose for the 2015 Book to Film Challenge, and it was quite a good adaptation. Not quite what I expected from reading in terms of perspective, but they really did a great job. It was so much fun to get out and see the movie, and of course chat about it all the way home!



I would be remiss if I felt out a HUGE outing and happening this month, which was getting out to vote for the Federal Election. I will be very exciting to see the changes that will be happening.



I watched a fair amount of movies in October, and one that I absolutely loved was Jupiter Ascending. It came out earlier in the year to mixed reviews by my buddy Marina said to give it a go and I did and I loved it. LOVED IT. I rented it, but now I really want to buy it. I was also happily surpized with X-Men Days of Future Past, and I say surprized because I love the X-Men generally, but really was disappointed with X-Men First Class, so I'm glad they got it back to the spirit of X-Men here. Another biggie for October is watching scary movies, and I tried to do the 31 Days of Horror again. I only got about halfway through the month doing the videos, and stopped for a few reasons. A big one was running out of steam to do the videos, but I also didn't want to get locked in to only watching horror (especially if something new and not horror-y popped up on Netflix). But I did make it through 7 of the Children of the Corn films, and I think that's a triumph in it of itself.



It has been really fun to have Art Day's with Jamie on Sunday's. We've been continuing through the Year of the Spark and also Making Art a Practice. A huge theme this month has been faces, faces, and more faces. I've also done a lot of drawing faces while I'm watching TV or movies. It's amazing how themes turn up in life like that. To see/hear more of what I'm creating you can watch my sisters Suzie, Jamie and I on stART: Creating As We Go where we share our creative projects.



There was a lot of new and returning TV to enjoy in October, and although I'm still a bit off kilter with shows I have a lot I've been enjoying a lot of great shows including Season 9 of The Voice, the return of Arrow and a new fave is the House of DVF (Diane von F├╝rstenberg). Actually, House of DVF really took me by storm, even though I knew nothing about it other than it would be fashion related. Turns out, it's a reality competition series to find the new brand ambassador for DVF. I have found Diane von F├╝rstenberg and her staff totally inspiriting. They are fabulous, professional, on point and really want to see the contestants succeed. I really hope they renew it, because I would love to see more of this world.


My reading this month has been pretty dismal. I only finished one book and a handful of short stories. I didn't even start my 2015 Book to Film Challenge selection, and made minimal progress of my reading of War and Peace. I'm trying not to get to down on how I did reading-wise this month, especially given I've read 60+ books this year already. My reading has been pretty consistent for over a year now, so I think I just hit a bit of a lull. I think all the movie and TV watching might have had something to do with that. That's okay, I can get back on track when the energy shifts again.



One of the huge highlights of any October is Halloween! This was a really fun and laid back year, we watched Jurassic Park and Jurassic World (first time watch for me, and really enjoyed it). It was also cool to see the cats have their first Halloween, they definitely took an interest to anything with feathers or fur. Jamie created a Facebook page for the kittens if you'd like to see more of them (and you should, because they are SO CUTE!).

That's what October was like. I have a feeling November will be more chaotic, with a move on the horizon and I will be doing lots of work around that this month. We'll see how it goes!



2 comments:

Suzie Ridler said...

Wow, what a month! I can't believe how much you did Shannon (so envious that you got to hang out with Auntie Laima) and great job on getting through all those Children of the Corn movies. We want to see The Martian too! I tried to watch The Voice but it's just not the same without you and Jamie being with me. What a great month, love this post!

Shannon said...

Thanks Suzie! I am so glad you enjoyed this post, it was cool to see the month in this way. The Children of the Corn movies were so all over the place! It was a fun challenge, but so few of them were actually good, lol. Sorry to hear The Voice isn't the same not watching all together, I get that though I feel that way about some of our Hexed shows big time. I'm glad we both got out to The Martian, it's nice to see really cool scifi on the big screen.