Thursday, November 06, 2014

99 New-To-Me Words I Found While Reading Tender is the Night


I recently finished reading Tender is the Night for the Shannon Reads "Those Books" Exploration. One of the fun things I added to the reading process was collecting words that I either hadn't heard before, or wasn't quite sure what they actually meant. It feels a bit scary to admit I don't know what some of these words mean, but I won't know them until I actually work on them. In an effort to get the ball rolling on learning their meanings, I thought I would share them here.

I don't know if I will memorize definitions all of them, as 99 words is a lot to work with! Believe it or not, I culled down the list down from 150+ and I owe a big Thank You to my sister Jamie for helping me narrow the list. I will certainly look all 99 words up, and some may be easier than others to have their definitions stick, as I have different familiarity with different words.

For some of the words I have a sense of what they mean, like lark seems similar to whim, pandemonium feels like a state of chaos and wraith I would actually say is a manifestation of an evil or angry spirit (which doesn't makes sense in the context of the book, just one more reason to look it up!).

The next level is words I know what they mean, but I'm not able to articulate their meaning. This is the case for words like amorality, rigmarole and convalescence. If someone used them I would know what they were talking about, but if I would only be able to articulate it by using the exact same words.

Then I have the words that I am familiar with, but have a feeling I don't understand them correctly. Dogmatic and sardonic fall into this category.

And then we finally have the words I don't remember seeing or hearing before, ever. They are the truly new words to me: exigent, littoral, insouciant and gendarmes.

Now it's time to get to the fun part: The list!

abnegation
absolve
acme
acute
adagio
alienists
amorality
anagrams
antipathetic
arbitrary
armistice
ascetic, ascetically and asceticism
bereft
capitulated
cavorted
celerity
centrifugal
centripetal
clamour
complicity
convalescence
convivial
coquette
crevasse
curate
cyclorama
debauch
debutant
denunciation
disparity
dissent
dogmatic
edelweiss
epistolary
equanimity
exigent
expropriating
expurgated
facetious
facile
farcical
fatuous
felicity
funicular
gallantry
gendarmes
impertinence
inordinately
insolent
insouciant
insuperable
lark
lesion
littoral
malicious
mollifying
moribund
myriad
nascent
obsequious
palpable
pandemonium
paresis
paroxysm
pastoral
petulantly
polygrance
predicament
pronouncement
prurient
quiescent
reticent
retinue
retribution
reveries
rigmarole
salvo
sardonic
schizoid
sonorous
sordid
specious
stoicism
stratum
strident
subsistence
surfeit
taciturn
toiling
torpid
transference
treatise
trite
truant
urbane
valet
wraith

Looks like it's time for tea and the dictionary for me. How about you? Are new words peeking out from the list for you?

2 comments:

Suzie Ridler said...

Good for you for narrowing down the list and for keeping on in the first place for words to look up! I know some but many are a mystery to me, especially "surfeit".

Shannon said...

I'm glad to be in good company with some of these words! I wonder how many I'll get through defining, and which ones I will choose! It's pretty daunting, so I think I have to find a way to sneak up on it.