Tuesday, October 28, 2014

A to Z Book Meme


I did this A to Z Book Meme here at Planet Shannon a year ago, and I thought it might be fun to do to it again without looking at my previous answers and see what's changed and what's stayed the same. This is particularly of interest to me as I've increased my reading and changed a lot of my habits, and I wonder if that will come across in my answers.

Feel free to play along! A questions-only version is available to copy/paste at the bottom of the post.

A uthor you’ve read the most books from: Oddly I think it's, "Darren Shan", the fictional author/autobiographer of The Darren Shan Saga (The Vampire's Assistant), which is a series of 12 books.

B est Sequel Ever:
Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

C urrently Reading: Tender is the Night by F. Scott Fitzgerald

D rink of Choice While Reading:
Tea *

E -reader or Physical Book? I got into ebook-only habit for a while, but I've adapted to be adept at both. YAY!

F ictional Character You Probably Would Have Actually Dated in High School: Totally stumped by this one. *

G lad You Gave This Book A Chance: The Selection by Kiera Cass

H idden Gem Book: Wondrous Strange by Lesley Livingston

I mportant Moment in your Reading Life: Deciding to expand my reading horizons with the Shannon Reads "Those Books" Exploration.

J ust Finished: Book of Shadows by Cate Tiernan

K inds of Books You Won’t Read: Won't is pretty strong a word, I can't think of anything that's an absolute n-o.

L ongest Book You’ve Read: Mostly likely Stephen King's It. *

M ajor book hangover because of: I'm not sure what this means *, is it ...when you've read too much of something and then can't read? I don't do that. I often make a push at the end of the month of finish things I've started but I'm not sure if that counts.

N umber of Bookcases You Own: 5. They are all in storage at the moment. *

O ne Book You Have Read Multiple Times: Sword Dancer by Jennifer Roberson *

P referred Place To Read:
In bed.

Q uote that inspires you/gives you all the feels from a book you’ve read: I don't have a book-ish quote to fit this bill, and usually don't write down quotes at all. The closest I can come to this one is the most recent line that stopped me in my tracks so much that I had to write it down. Unfortunately, it's more sad than inspiring: "The strongest guard is placed at the gateway to nothing....Maybe because the condition of emptiness is too shameful to be divulged" Tender is the Night - F. Scott Fitzgerald (p.70).

R eading Regret: Not dusting my bookshelves. I think a lot of my books are now too dusty for me to read.

S eries You Started and Need to Finish (all books are out in series):
Oh wow. There is a lot. Delirium Trilogy by Lauren Oliver, Fallen by Lauren Kate, The Giver Quartet by Lois Lowry, The Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare *, and several more. I still want to finish all of these, but I've shifted my priorities a bit away from series-reading at the moment.

T hree of your All-Time Favorite Books: Daughter of the Lion by Jennifer Roberson *, Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman and A Complicated Kindness by Miriam Toews.

U napologetic Fangirl For: Loving what I love, and not feeling any need or desire to pin down my reading to any genre, type, time period or author.

V ery Excited for This Release More Than All the Others: I don't usually track book releases but on Before the Dawn we just talked about recently released book covers for the TV-tie-in book series for the show The Originals. The three books are coming out in the early through mid 2015. See "U" for how I can be most excited about this.

W orst Bookish Habit:
Not finishing books before they need to go back to the library.

X Marks The Spot (start at the top left of your shelf and pick the 27th book): The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley. And I had to count the same shelf 2x to get to 27 because I only have 1 shelf of books at the moment.

Y our latest book purchase: I bought a stack of 10 books at Value Village recently (see picture below), including Waiting for Godot by Samuel Beckett.

Z ZZ-snatcher book (last book that kept you up WAY late): Hemlock Grove: or, The Wise Wolf by Brian McGreevy

* indicates answers that I gave this year were exactly the same as last year.


PLAY ALONG! Here is an answer-free version of the meme for copy/pasting ease.

A uthor you’ve read the most books from:

B est Sequel Ever:

C urrently Reading:

D rink of Choice While Reading:

E -reader or Physical Book?

F ictional Character You Probably Would Have Actually Dated in High School:

G lad You Gave This Book A Chance:

H idden Gem Book:

I mportant Moment in your Reading Life:

J ust Finished:

K inds of Books You Won’t Read:

L ongest Book You’ve Read:

M ajor book hangover because of:

N umber of Bookcases You Own:

O ne Book You Have Read Multiple Times:

P referred Place To Read:

Q uote that inspires you/gives you all the feels from a book you’ve read:

R eading Regret:

S eries You Started and Need to Finish (all books are out in series):

T hree of your All-Time Favorite Books:

U napologetic Fangirl For:

V ery Excited for This Release More Than All the Others:

W orst Bookish Habit:

X Marks The Spot (start at the top left of your shelf and pick the 27th book):

Y our latest book purchase:

Z ZZ-snatcher book (last book that kept you up WAY late):


2 comments:

Suzie Ridler said...

I knew tea would be on there! :) Shannon, there are so many books you have read that I have not even heard of and I finally get to see the book haul from the library. Well done! I adore Alice Hoffman and didn't know that title so that is also exciting.

Shannon said...

Tea with reading is a total must! But then again, tea goes with everything in Shannon land!

I wonder if the titles that are unfamiliar are Young Adult? There is so much of it out there, and I still have a few series I feel attached to. I haven't read much of Alice Hoffman's work, but I really want to. The Dovekeepers is going to be an upcoming miniseries, which always gets an extra push from me to read it, hehe.