Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Hello, New Phone!


I recently posted an Ode to My First Cell Phone, and then realized I could just as easily share the awesomeness of my new phone. I had put off getting a new phone for so long, than once I finally decided to go for it I had no idea what I wanted. Except for Netflix to work on it. Because, priorities - right? Anyhow, after doing a fair amount of research* and even a little mock up of the design (see above), I went with the Google Nexus 5.

After finally making the decision, I went back to the site and then... they were out of the version I wanted! Ack! So I went bigger and brighter and got the Bright Red 32 MB, and let me tell you ... this sucker is BRIGHT. I would definitely say NEON. At least I will always be able to spot it because that red is... wowza. I was taken aback at first, but I quickly came to like it.


After it arrived it was time to play! I was so happy to find out it was so easy to use. I think I downloaded more apps in the first 5 minutes than all of the apps on my old phone. Oh to be able to watch Netflix! And to finally be Instagram! And get a dictionary app with Word a Day (go go Merriam-Webster!). And Wikipedia. And Goodreads! And TV Tag (formerlly Get Glue). And Songza. And even be able to read Kindle books. Oh my! And all of these apps worked. Simply worked. No mussing, no fussing, all working. Wow. This was a huge relief.


Now that I've had it a while, I've found I can easily record and upload videos to my YouTube channel, and they look way better than videos I record on my camera or via webcam. They take a bit of time to upload, but it's not crazy excessive. The files take up a fair amount of space, but I just delete them after I upload. They look and sound amazing. It's really nice to be able to do a vlog a lot more on the fly. Woohoo.

One of the things I was most looking forward to was being able to to watch Netflix. I really, really wanted Netflix to run smoothy on my phone, and it does! I use it all the time. I also love that I can watch TV shows with the Space Go, CTV Go, and CityTV apps. I haven't used the Global one yet as it won't run without location being set, and I don't really want to turn feature on but we'll see how long I last on that. But I watch something on Netflix every day, and now that the fall season of TV has started I'm sure I'll be watching a lot of shows this way too. I even made sure I got a case with a kickstand just for viewing purposes.


The only things I miss about my old phone are the awesome sonar sound it made and how the IMDb app showed news. That's it. And the only thing I haven't liked about the new one is not being terrible fond of the Twitter app, because there are way too many sponsored tweets. But those few things are far in the back of my mind in comparison to all the amazing things I can now do, plus feeling like I am actually connected and have the ability to easily share pictures and videos. No longer do I have to wait until I'm on the computer to respond to things. It makes all the difference.

Oddly, the thing I use my phone the least for is as...a phone. The first time it rang, I was suprized at the sound it made. And I still can't differentiate what all the little bleeps, zzzzs, pops and whirls sounds mean. I took me a while to figure out how to send texts and to make calls. Funny how what feels like it's primary function is one of the things I use it the least for. I'm sure I'll get more adept at that, as well as finding more apps to enjoy. The learning never ends!

My current question is, now that I've conquered all 120 levels of Marble Legend ...what game to play next?

* A huge thank you to Android Authority and Erica Griffin for their awesome YouTube channels. Watching their videos on both the Nexus 5 and Moto G really helped me figure out which was the right phone for me. And, it made me realize I needed a case after watching drop test videos. I went with a Fosmon case for s 3 layers of awesome sturdiness.


No comments: