Saturday, December 07, 2013

ST:TNG 6.17 Birthright (Part II) ~ Star Trek: The Next Generation Re-Watch

It's time to get to Worf's part of the story in 6.17 Birthright (Part II).

Images Source: TrekCore

Star Trek: The Next Generation Re-Watch continues with ...

Birthright (Part II)
Season 6, Episode 17

Story:
  • We left off with a cliffhanger of Worf being captured after entering a Romulan prison camp after he followed a lead that his father may be there. Although Mogh is not there, Worf finds that the group of Romulans and Klingons living together. Covertly, but peacefully.

What I remembered about this episode:
  • I remember that I always forgot that Worf doesn't find his Dad. I am always confused by this, as I never really got the point of the story to follow that lead and it to be a dead end.
What I see differently:
  • At first glance I thought this story was about retaining and embracing ones culture, but after pondering it for a bit I see that it's more about what happens when we are distanced from or do not even know our own culture (which is similar to Birthright Part I). Although I love seeing Klingon culture, the fact that this is actually a combination of Romulans and Klingons makes the all-Klingon all-the-time sentiment a bit one-sided. Especially given that Ba'el is both Klingon and Romulan.
  • I think that Ba'el, the girl that Worf becomes a little involved with on the planet is a bit young for him.
  • Poor Michael Dorn, he had to wear that all black one piece type covert suit for the entire freaking episode!
What I take away from this episode
  • Not too much, this one never really stuck with me although in general I like episodes with Klingons involved. For a re-watch, it's not super excited as the set up is "Worf in Danger! They won't let him leave!", but I know he will be fine so there is no tension. I don't totally agree with the ideas they present on culture and identity, and certainly am not a fan of captivity, but in generally just am confused that the guy from the beginning isn't Mogh. I always thought it would be a trick ending that he was Worf's dad, but Worf didn't realize it. But...that's not what happens.
Left Off At
  • Worf leaves with the many (or all?) of the children of the camp, and brings them to The Enterprise with the explanation that they are survivors of a crash.

Even though I just jumped back on the Star Trek: The Next Generation Re-Watch train, I've decided to take a break from this until the new year as so much is going on this month. That way I can really sit and enjoy the episodes, as well as the posts about them.


Images Source: TrekCore

No comments: