Friday, December 13, 2013

My First....Apartment: Kickin' It Old Skool Day #13


Today is Day #13 the Kickin' It Old Skool Blog-a-thon we are sharing a first. And a first of our choice. I chose: My First Apartment.

With the recent move and another move somewhere in the future, I've thought a lot about all the different places I've lived over the years. So much so that I sat down and counted them all out and it was quite the list. I don't remember the number, but it was more than 15 places. Craziness. And all of them hold many memories.

My first apartment was actually a room in 3-storey house. There were 7 of us in the house, plus 2 guys in the basement apartment (something I didn't know until months of living there). I had a pretty big room on the second floor, with two big windows and a non-working fireplace that I stuffed things in as storage. The wooden floors were unfinished and the first night I got a huge splinter, so I had to wear shoes or slippers indoors. Even so, I was thrilled to be downtown because it was, well, downtown. I moved in just a week or so before starting at OCA and I used to run down the stairs and fly out the door to get to class. Or to get to the club, although I didn't do my make up at the apartment but rather while I waited for the streetcar (and usually in winter). It was the place of the party of with too much Goldschlager and the first Christmas I hosted. I make turkey soup for the first time and I also accidentally melted plastic onto the stove while doing a school project. I left a few months early on my lease to move in with a friend, but for those 8 months it holds a lot of memories and was a good place to crash and nothing was too far from home.

I almost wasn't able to come up for a picture for this one, as I have no pictures from that period of time in my life. But then I remembered one thing that I have that isn't in storage that I've had since that time: My Sealtest milk crate. I have no idea where I got it, but I know that it used to sit under the desk my TV was on at my first apartment. And voila! A picture. Of course as they are so versatile it currently has a different function: as the standing place for the lil Christmas Tree in my room.


This December Jamie and I are bringing the fun back to blogging with old skool prompts every day! Join us here to get in on the fun of the Kickin' It Old Skool Blog-a-thon!

 photo STTNG519TheFirstDuty8_zps5b015c6a.jpg

3 comments:

Jamie Ridler Studios said...

I loved reading this story of your first home away from home. I remember it well, from the "too much Goldschlager" party ot that first Christmas dinner. There was something about that space that was so wonderful. Maybe it was you ;)

Lynn said...

I didn't think I had a very interesting 'first' to write about until I read about your first apartment. It jogged my memory. The building sounds picturesque. And to be in the city must have been such fun!

Suzie Ridler said...

I remember that first place very clearly Shannon, even though I was only there once. You have moved so many times, it's quite amazing. Oh milk crates. They are so versatile aren't they? I am glad you still have it with you under the Christmas tree.