Monday, December 16, 2013

Favourite Songs: Kickin' It Old Skool Day #16


Today is Day #16 the Kickin' It Old Skool Blog-a-thon we are sharing our favourite songs.

Ah, music. Nothing takes you back to a time and place quicker than a song. Just tonight One by U2 came on the radio and took me back to when that song came out. It's not my fave though. It's a good song, just not my fave. I don't think I have one song that is an all time fave, but I like to collect songs all the time. I may not have tons of infusions of new music, but thankfully I don't get tired of songs I love, and happily listen to them over and over again. And I love all kinds of music. I used to joke that I listened to everything but pop and country, however since then... I've started listening to both pop *and* country! I guess that means there is room for it all! And here are a few of my recent, and all time, favourites:

According to iTunes my most listened to song is: Bury Me Under The Weeping Willow Tree - Rosanne Cash

My favourite duet is Where the Wild Roses Grow - Nick Cave and Kylie Minogule.

My favourite Johnny Cash song changes a lot, but at the moment it's Thirteen, but Daddy Sang Bass and Down There By The Train often win the fave spot. And yes, I'm totally allowed to consistently have a whole category that's just Johnny Cash.

My favourite emotionally wrenching song is Possibility - Lykke LiI know if from the Twilight: New Moon soundtrack.

My favourite song to see, and sing, in concert is Closer to Fine by The Indigo Girls. It is a beautiful, powerful experience to be in a crowd singing this song.

My Never-Thought-It-Could-Be-Cool-And-It's-Actually-The-Coolest is The Misty Mountains Cold from The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey. Confession time: I always skipped the songs in the books in Middle Earth and never felt all gooey about them. But oh my goodness hearing this song in the first trailer of The Hobbit hit me straight in my heart, and I knew and understood what this movie could be. And it was.

Currently, my favourite songs to sing is Skyfall by Adele. It kind of feels oh-so-last year to say that, but I don't care. No Free Love In This Town - Big Chief is a close overall second and long-time fave for that category.

My favourite new/2013 song is: Royals by Lorde; and after seeing the video I continue to find it crazy strange that it's used in a commercial for the show Reign. 

My favourite nostalgic songs are: Celebration - Kool and the Gang, Party Train - The Gap Band and Atomic Dog - George Clinton. And looking at that, I think I need to bring back some funk music into my life.


This December Jamie and I are bringing the fun back to blogging with old skool prompts every day! Join us here to get in on the fun of the Kickin' It Old Skool Blog-a-thon!

 photo STTNG519TheFirstDuty8_zps5b015c6a.jpg

9 comments:

Gabrielle said...

Awesome Shannnon - great list. I have to agree with you re: Indigo Girls.
It's inspiring to see such a variety of music influencing you - me?, I'm stuck in the 70's 4-eva!
peace!

Sarah Broadfoot said...

I love that you chose categories - very smart. I saw the Indigo Girls in Toronto once - I wonder if you and I were in the same audience singing Closer to Fine?

John said...

I love how you created your list. Great stuff there - and I love your mention of a song from The Hobbit.

Tink said...

Great idea to do your list like this. I like a lot of those too!

Janet Miles said...

Wow, I know none of those songs! Guess I have some listening to do. Thanks for sharing!

Laura said...

Closer to Fine is a great song and I love Adele & Johnny Cash.
blessings
~*~

Deborah Weber said...

Oh what a great list and I love how you categorized it.

Cynthia Lee said...

we have some favorites in common ... love all things Johnny Cash and anything by The Gap Band is favorite nostalgic songs.

creamycitydreamsicle said...

I so dig this: I was worried about not being able to pin down a singular song too! I totally forgot about that Nick Cave duet-- SUCH a cool video!