Thursday, September 12, 2013

ST:TNG 6.13 Aquiel ~ Star Trek: The Next Generation Re-Watch

Geordi falls for a real girl (through her personal logs) in 6.13 Aquiel.

Images Source: TrekCore

Star Trek: The Next Generation Re-Watch continues with ...

Aquiel
Season 6, Episode 13

Story:
  • When relay station is unresponsive and abandoned, The Enterprise if left has to solve the mystery of what could have happened to this 2-person outpost near the Klingon boarder.
    Character Focus:
    • Geordi, is the focus here as he does a lot of digging to solve the mystery of what happened on the station. He also ends up falling for the Aquiel Uhnari, whom we first see through personal logs that Geordi reviews and even though it's feared she's dead she actually shows up.
    • There is the mysterious Rocha, the other station personal who is referred to many times but never seen. And we can't forget Aquiel's dog Maura.
    • We also have the introduction of the idea of coalescent beings, which prove to be the actual culprit of the mystery. They literally co-exist with another being, but after a brief period of time need to re-coalesce. It's a very creepy idea.
    What I remembered about this episode:
    • I remember it feeling really creepy. There was a loneliness to the station being so isolated.
    • This one always stuck with me as it showed a different kind of life, or job, in Starfleet. Being 1 of 2 people on a relay station for months at a time. I mean, that's extremely different that what we see on The Enterprise, or even research vessels/outposts.
    What I noticed now, that I didn't notice then:
    • I kept on saying to the TV "Geordi, feed the dog!!" I mean, how long was Maura on the station all alone? She should have been hungry!
    • This one feels like a lot along the lines of The Original Series types of episodes, right down to the fact that a panel had 'absorbed' DNA in it. If I ever do a TOS re-watch I'll know which is known infamously to my family as the "Absorbed by Landru!" episode.
    What feels different now, than then:
    • This is I think the first time I likely saw this type of story, but since then I've actually seen it on other TV shows (that came after), as well as a film that came before. I won't spoil which film it is though, because it's a good one!
    • It's a good reminder that personal logs may indeed one day, be listened to!
    What remained the same:
    • I had no idea 'whodunnit'. And that's kind of embarrassing for a re-watch. For most of the episode I thought it was Aquiel, which would continue Geordi's bad luck, but turns out this time she was a real girl! With fuzzy memories.
    What I see differently:
    • I think Aquiel having fuzzy memories wasn't a great choice, and the whole "this item will make us closer" creepily reminded me of 5.12 Violations. Speaking of that episode, why didn't Aquiel talk to Troi? Seriously? Either to help with her memory or to deal with the emotional trauma? They do say her race has telepathic abilities, and often when that's the case Betazoids and the race-du-jour can't connect...but still.
    • I did think it was totally inappropriate for Geordi to be involved with Aquiel (Riker even took him aside!). And adding Morag into the mix to throw around the possibility of more people being the 'killer' just comes out of nowhere. Kinda murky this one is.
    Great Quotes:
    • "Am I what you expected?" - Aquiel, to Geordi
    • "I think you've let your personal feelings cloud your judgment." / "I'm not the one making judgments." - Riker / Geordi
    Left off at:
    Beverly figures out that the actual culprit is likely a coalescent being that takes over another life form. It likely arrived at the station as Rocha and in the end it wasn't Aquiel, or the Klingon Morag, but Aquiel's dog Maura! Maura attacks Geordi who phases the coalesced-dog to nothingness.


    Images Source: TrekCore

    2 comments:

    Jamie Ridler Studios said...

    I thought exactly the same thing about Troi - and about the personal logs!

    I was really surprised to have no memory of this episode at all. It was a treat to not know what was going to happen next!

    Shannon said...

    Hehe, that's so funny we both thought about Troi and the personal logs! Talk about being on the same wavelength!

    I only have vague memories of this one, and being later in the series it definitely was syndicated less...at least during the time when we watched it during dinner!