Friday, September 06, 2013

ST:TNG 6.12 Ship in a Bottle ~ Star Trek: The Next Generation Re-Watch

It's a holodeck revenge with Moriarty's return in 6.12 Ship in a Bottle

Images Source: TrekCore

Star Trek: The Next Generation Re-Watch continues with ...

Ship in a Bottle
Season 6, Episode 12

Story:
  • A malfunction on the holodeck leads to the unleashing of Moriarty, a holodeck character who achieved self-awareness. When Moriarty learns there is still no escape from the holodeck for him he takes control of The Enterprise from the holodeck.
    Character Focus:
    • Moriarty, whom we first saw in 2.03 Elementary Dear Data is the focus here. He cunningly takes over the ship and demands a resolution to his holo-captivity for both himself and the love of his life, Countess Barthalomew.
    • Fighting to outwit Moriarty, we have Picard, Data and Barclay; as well as an unbeknownst-to-himself version of Geordi .
    What I remembered about this episode:
    • I remember that this one ended up that Moriarty and his lady friend sailed off into the sunset, but didn't know they were tricked into their own bottle.
    What I noticed now, that I didn't notice then:
    • I feel like there is a bit of a mis-step in the logic, mostly that several different people in the holodeck in different locations and it feels like they've got to far enough away from each other that it would be a problem. I know there is the "Moriarty is a genius" vibe, but it still didn't quite sit right with me.
    • This one hurt my brain a little. If I think back, Moriarty first fools them pretending to do what he can't actually achieve and they in turn pretend to do that which he wants, however in the end nothing changes except perception. Ouch! Brain! Ouch!
    What feels different now, than then:
    • I actually couldn't remember exactly what was going on in this one, I wasn't a big re-watcher of the 'holodeck adventures' episodes. I did remember where it started, and where it was going to end, but I forgot that Moriarty tricked Picard to giving up the command codes and had him, Data and Barclay stuck in a holodeck as opposed to roaming the ship.
    • I was thrilled to see Barclay! I didn't think he was in any more episodes after the holodeck-fantasyland-introduction (3.21 Hollow Pursuits) and then gets-a-big-brain one (4.19 The Nth Degree), and scared-of-the-transporter-monsters one (6.02 Realm of Fear). I really like his character on the re-watch, much more than when I originally watched the show.
    • The 'fake' Geordi was darn convincing!
    What remained the same:
    • Although the idea is fascinating and Moriarty is clever, it's a pretty dry episode. I enjoyed it mostly for Barclay, and trying to figure out what was going on but it's not a big stand out. I did like Countess Barthalomew, she's very firey.
    • I do think it's pretty cool to bring back a character that was on just one episode and bring up the effect that those choices and actions had over time. They don't really deal with it, but to present that question itself it still pretty cool.
    What I see differently:
    • I was shocked that one minute Moriarty was all like "ah, crime is a thing of my past" and then minutes later was okay with letting The Enterprise get sucked into the gravity well of a possible new sun being formed.
    • Although the philosophical question about whether or not Moriarty is an individual as he has self-awareness, in the end they certainly don't treat him as such. Sure, he's holding the ship hostage but they do just put him 'back' in the program.
    Great Quotes:
    • "Forgive me Captain, but that feels more like a threat than a compromise." - Countess Barthalomew
    • "But they made me too well, and I became more than a character in a story. I became self-aware. I... am alive." - Moriarty
    • "Somehow... I have to find a way of giving him what he wants." - Picard
    Left off at:
    Picard, Data and Barclay trick Moriarty and Countess Barthalomew to be "transported" so that they can exit the holodeck, when in fact they are placed into a self-contained program that lets them roam the universe yet they won't know they aren't corporal. Of course, The Enterprise gets away from the 2 planets colliding just in the nick of time!


    Images Source: TrekCore

    No comments: