Monday, June 10, 2013

Summer TV 2013 ~ Where to Watch TV Shows Online in Canada


Who's excited about summer TV? I know I am! Teen Wolf! Continuum! So You Think You Can Dance! Off-Season British Shows! So much to enjoy. As this is my first summer without cable for many years, I've been a bit overwhelmed by when and where to watch stuff as I'm transitioning to watch many of my shows online. Where can I watch them? When do the go live? Will it work in Canada? The list below is one I've created to help watching shows online. It's a resource to actual channel websites and direct show page links (if available) for easy access to watch them at their legitimate source, that is available for streaming here in Canada.

The list is of the shows I'm watching and I will update this it through the summer (June - August 2013) with new shows once I've confirmed they will be available online. As you can see, my tastes run the gambit genre-wise, and I watch a lot of science fiction, reality, Canadian and supernatural shows (in other words, very little drama and pretty much no comedy). Additional shows I'm looking forward to this summer include Under the Dome, Camp, The Amazing Race Canada and Big Brother. If they go up online, I will add them to the list!

I hope the list is helpful for to watch TV streaming online through legitimate sources that work here in Canada! If you are looking for something that isn't on the list, check the resources at the bottom for search suggestions.  Happy Watching!


Sunday

Monday

Tuesday

Wednesday

Thursday

Friday
  • ~~

 Saturday
  • Orphan Black (Premiere Season) - Space
  • Being Human UK (Fifth and Final Season) - Space


Scheduling (When Shows Appear Online)
  • In general, I've found that shows go online the day after their are broadcasted and 2 or 3 of the most recent episodes are available. 
  • The exception to that kind-of rule is Canadian shows and co-pro's, especially if it is an original production created by the channel itself.  In these cases the entire season (or series) can be available to watch online. Summer shows that have their entire seasons or series available include: Continuum, Big Brother Canada, Rookie Blue, Top Chef Canada and XIII.  Edit: Orphan Black and Defiance now only available in part (Updated July 2013).
Tech-ish Stuff
  • I've found the least issues watching through Chrome as a browser.  Some players seem to work better with Firefox or Internet Explorer, but none seem to work great with both as you can get stuck in a commercials-loop cycle or just stop working.  Try it and see what works for you!  As always, if it's working - stick with it!  And always keep Adobe Flash Player up to date.  If anyone has any other hints to seamless streaming, I'd be thrilled to here them.
* A few online viewing options do not have a specific page for watching a singular show, but rather a video player for watching any of their offerings (like Space and Discovery).  In those cases I've put the link to the broadcasters website, as opposed to the show.  Then either select the show if it's displayed prominently, or click their video library, select your show, the season and then the episode.

+ As a side note, I included The Deadliest Catch but personally I opted to get this season via iTunes because I found the online option not very reliable (the episodes were not going up very timely manner), as well as not seeing the new addition of "The Bait" being online. I adore this show, and wanted my episodes quickly and reliably, and to add to my permanent collection.


Something Not Here? 
  • This is just what I'm watching, so there can easily be a show out there and not on the list because I don't watch everything!  To find where it is, just do a Google Search for "Watch _____ online" and look for a broadcaster you recognize and trust to watch the show.  
  • Another way is to browse through the Canadian TV broadcasters websites video pages: CBC, CTV, Global and CityTV (all of which are also all available through antenna).
  • And the Specialty Channels: Space, Showcase, Slice, Much Music (no great direct link, hover over 'videos' at the left), Discovery, Food Network and History.  If there is a Canadian channel that streams shows you'd like added, just leave a comment below and I'll update the list.
Please, no spoilers on any shows!  I hope that goes without say as by definition readers of this list are people that watching shows after they air.  A great place to have spoiler-y discussions if you are looking for that is Get Glue as it's people who *are* watching the show!

Happy Watching!

1 comment:

RHEA WOODS said...

Why do not you search it online, there are many websites where you can also watch best shows currently running on tv. For list of great running shows I will advise to visit Ranker.com.

best shows currently on tv