Thursday, April 11, 2013

ST:TNG 6.08 A Fistful of Datas ~ Star Trek: The Next Generation Re-Watch

The holodeck goes haywire, western-style in 6.08 A Fistful of Datas.

Images Source: TrekCore

Star Trek: The Next Generation Re-Watch continues with ...

A Fistful of Datas
Season 6, Episode 8

Story:
  • The Enterprise has an unexpected 48 hours of leisure time when a transport ship is delayed. During this time Data and Geordi test having Data be a back up system for the ship, but things go awry with Data not only individually but his programming which infused itself into the ships systems including Worf and Alexanders trip to The Old West in the holodeck.
    Character Focus:
    • Worf and Alexander are the focus as Alexander created a western-themed holodeck program for them to play together during some down time. Of course it all goes horribly wrong. Troi also comes out to play and makes a heck of a good "mysterious stranger".
    • Although he's in the title, Data isn't in it all that much as himself, except for the story of trying to be a back up system for the ship; but on the other hand Brent Spiner as multiple holographic versions of western characters that look like Data, are certainly a focus..


    Images Source: TrekCore

    What I remembered about this episode:
    • I remember this one as the cute western episode with Worf and Alexander.
    • I also remember not quite understanding the episode, because Data takes on so many of the holodeck characters and sometimes they start as someone else and then become Data and others are always Data, it was way too confusing for me. I have a thing about people 'not being who they actually are' that totally freaks me out that I think kicks in and just obliterates my comprehension at times.
    What I noticed now, that I didn't notice then:
    • It's kind of odd how little 'Data' is a part of this episode, although the stuff where he starts talking and walking like he's in a western is hilarious.
    • I think they got a new Spot for this one. He cropped up in multiple ways, not only with Data, but also influencing the replicators and Spot-themed poetry takes over Beverly's play.
    What feels different now, than then:
    • I have to admit this one feels a bit different now that I've actually seen A Fistful of Dollars, For a Few Dollars More and The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. Sure, I had seen westerns when I saw this, but it's still very different to know so many of the specific as well as the general references.
    • I love seeing this side of Troi, I love how she embraces the story and also makes sure when things get real she knows how high the stakes are.
    What remained the same:
    • Troi kicks BUTT in the western world. I thought it was so cool she joins the party and does a great job of it. And Worf does great as 'Sheriff Worf' too.
    What I see differently:
    • Sometimes I wonder if there is every an episode where they holodeck is used, and things *don't* go wrong.
    • I actually have been enjoying the holodeck ones on this re-watch, which wasn't always the case in the past as they inevitably feel like a reset by the end. I'm not sure what changed my thinking by something did and I'm glad!
    Great Quotes:
    • "I find it extremely difficult to predict what you will find acceptable. Perhaps hunger will compel you to try it again." - Data, to Spot
    • "Durango! I'm called Durango!" - Troi
    • "The town of Deadwood may face danger once again. If they do... they will need a sheriff... and a deputy." - Worf
    Left off at:
    When it's discovered that Data is infused to the ship, they start to correct the problem and inside the holodeck Troi and Worf work to let the program play to it's logically end so it will be complete and turn off. Which it almost does with a near-miss with a barmaid version of Data.


    Images Source: TrekCore

    No comments: