Wednesday, April 10, 2013

ST:TNG 6.07 Rascals ~ Star Trek: The Next Generation Re-Watch

4 crew members get a little younger in 6.07 Rascals.

Images Source: TrekCore

Star Trek: The Next Generation Re-Watch continues with ...

Rascals
Season 6, Episode 7

Story:
  • While Picard, Keiko, Ensign Ro and Guinan are returning to the The Enterprise via shuttlecraft they need emergency transport and when they are beamed on the ship they rematerialize as 12 year olds. Plus, crazy Ferengi's try and take over the ship.
    Character Focus:
    • Picard, Keiko, Ensign Ro and Guinan are all in focus this episode, as well as their relationships and life choices historically and possible future choices. Picard contemplates what he would do if stays this young, Keiko has awkward moments with both O'Brien and a very cute, growing Molly and we also get to see Ro and Guinan continue to develop their friendship.
    • We also see both Beverly and Troi try to help and reassure the newly young with their unexpected circumstances.


    Images Source: TrekCore

    What I remembered about this episode:
    • I remember this one as the getting young episode, and especially Guinan trying to get Ro to lighten up, Molly not remembering Keiko and Picard's tantrum.
    What I noticed now, that I didn't notice then:
    • No one actually says whether or not they actually look like how they did when they were 12 years old. No flashbacks, no new-yet-old pictures, just living in the now. Which I think is what the episode is really about.
    • I couldn't remember at all how they fix them, but I knew it was a 'the transported did it / transporter fix it' episode; so I focused more on how they dealt with being young, again.
    What feels different now, than then:
    • This one was a lot of fun the first time (and anytime) I saw it, but iIt might even have been the most fun as a part of this re-watch as now I know the characters even better.
    • I think on first watch I got a little not impressed by the actor who plays the you Picard, but it's just how he says 'Picard' which isn't like Picard. After that, he's totally spot on and it's not just the shirt tug, and tea ordering but delivery of lines ("This is just so ridiculous") and how he maintains the same energy with crew members including how directly he asks Crusher if she's going to relieve him of duty. I wonder how he would have reacted if it was only others that were changed.
    What remained the same:
    • This one is a lot of fun, and it pairs both the ridiculousness of the situation with the realness of the situation well.
    • The Picard tantrum scene to see his "Dad" as a way to talk to Riker, and the big run and hug gets me giggling every time.
    • Riker out speaking techno-babble to the Ferengi and relying on him not admitting he doesn't understand to buy time and a way to sneak into actually using the computer to free up controls for Picard.
    What I see differently:
    • I totally forgot the whole Ferengi take over, and that these Ferengi's are apparently unaligned with the Ferengi Alliance. Wow, I had to look that up because I couldn't remember what the word for Ferengi's as a whole were, oddly I could only remember The Romulan have an Empire, and nothing else.
    • It's amazing how Guinan has no problem at all with the transition, and even embraces it. Zero stress there. That's pretty awesome.
    Great Quotes:
    • "I haven't been young for a long time. And I intend to enjoy every minute of it." - Guinan
    • "This is the isopalavial interface, which controls the main firomactal drive unit - don't touch that! You'll blow up the entire firomactal drive." - Riker, speaking technobabble
    • "Miles Edward O'Brien, I am still your wife." - Keiko
    Left off at:
    Picard, Ro, Guinan and Keiko are grouped with the kids when the Ferengi's take over the ship. They along with Alexander creatively trick and capture the Ferengi's to restore power. Crusher and O'Brien figure out a way to use the transporter to restore them to their adult selves.


    Images Source: TrekCore

    No comments: