Wednesday, March 27, 2013

ST:TNG 6.04 Relics ~ Star Trek: The Next Generation Re-Watch

It's a transporter blast from the past with Scotty on The Enterprise in 6.04 Relics.

Images Source: TrekCore

Star Trek: The Next Generation Re-Watch continues with ...

Relics
Season 6, Episode 4

Story:
  • The Enterprise finds a crashed ship on the exterior of what appears to be a Dyson sphere. Inside the ship there is a transporter signal that's been locked in for 75 years and when they activate the beam, Scotty from The Original Series materializes.
What it's really about:
  • The audience gets a chance to see Scotty!
    Character Focus:
    • Scotty is obviously the focus here, we get to see him again but also with him missing 75 years while in the transporter this puts him out of place with technological advances and therefore kind of displacing him from his area of expertise.
    • We also get a fair amount of Geordi time as he works with, or tries to avoid working with Scotty but they eventually do find a way to connect (through possible disaster, of course!).
    • We also get important notations from Picard who spends time with Scotty reminiscing on their old ships, but also Picard reminds Geordi that people need to feel useful, and encourages them to work together.
    What I remembered about this episode:
    • I remember thinking what the heck, are they going to find a way to bring back the entire original crew? We already had Bones back in 1.01 Encounter at Farpoint (Part 1) and Spock in 5.07 Unification O and 5.08 Unification II. But, I'm trying to be a little less jaded now on these things, at least when Trek is involved.
    • I also remember the ominous Dyson sphere, which made quite and impression although does bear a bit of a resemblance to The Death Star in Star Wars.
    • I also vividly remember the moment the holodeck doors open and we not only see, but hear, the original Enterprise bridge. And that's when I realized how nostalgic the sounds on The Original Series were. Sure it's the adventures and the crew, but the quickest way to take you back there is to hear those whistle-y chirpy sounds on the bridge.
    What I noticed now, that I didn't notice then:
    • I was trying to geek out a bit on the facts of the different Enterprises, and while I'm sure the show has it all down pat I was wondering how many Enterprises there were and all their numbers and such. I don't usually think about this series in this way, but the fact that I'm also doing a Star Trek film re-watch in anticipation to Star Trek Into Darkness places me in an odd spot of re-watching both the TNG series and the TOS films which comes together a bit here!.
    What feels different now, than then:
    • I understand the theme of this one more now, ah....that makes *me* feel old!
    What remained the same:
    • Geordi feels really not nice to Scotty, which I found suprizing and uncomfortable, although he's not the most diplomatic and has had this happen before most notably with Barclay in 3.21 Hollow Pursuits.
    What I see differently:
    • Although this one always makes me a bit sad, it's the outlived-your-use-and-place feeling that is so uncomfortable. I think they get it somewhere good, but it's not super pleasant to go through.
    • The send off at the end of the episode you can feel the joy and honour of the crew, and the actors, at getting to work with Scotty. That was really cool.
    • Even though I love that they showed The Original Series bridge of The Enterprise, I can not remember *ever* seeing Scotty on it! Although, I do have a hard time recalling what Engineering looked like on that series...Scotty was usually at a communications terminal saying how he can, or can not, get something done.
    Great Quotes:
    • "The Enterprise? I should have known. I bet Jim Kirk himself hauled the old girl out of mothballs to come looking for me." - Scotty
    • "If this ship were operational, I bet she'd run circles around the Enterprise at impulse speeds. Just because something's old doesn't mean you throw it away." - Geordi
    • "The android at the bar said you could show me my old ship. Let me see it." - Scotty
    Left off at:
    When The Enterprise disappears, Scotty and Geordi have to work together to solve the mystery and save the day - which they do! They send off Scotty with a shuttlecraft on extended loan for him to continue adventuring.


    Images Source: TrekCore

    No comments: