Friday, March 22, 2013

ST:TNG 6.02 Realm of Fear ~ Star Trek: The Next Generation Re-Watch

It's Barclay versus fear of the transporter it 6.02 Realm of Fear.
 photo STTNG602RealmofFear17_zpsd3946257.jpg  photo STTNG602RealmofFear6_zpsffb85b04.jpg  photo STTNG602RealmofFear_zps87fed619.jpg
Images Source: TrekCore

Star Trek: The Next Generation Re-Watch continues with ...

Realm of Fear
Season 6, Episode 2

Story:
  • When the Enterprise goes to investigate a non-responsive science ship investigating a plasma stream, it triggers Barclay's fear of the transporter as he's asked to join the away team. Turns out this phobia will lead them to continue to find breadcrumbs for bigger mystery of the disappeared crew.
    Character Focus:
    • Barclay is the focus here, and it's nice to see him! I don't think we even saw him in Season 5 at all so it's nice to start off Season 6 with a fun Barclay episode. It's also awesome that his manic phobia is not only the lead to solve the mystery but his bravery to use the transporter for a long duration that saves the crew members from the other ship.
    What I remembered about this episode:
    • I remember Barclay being afraid of the transporter, and that he saw things in it. And that he seemed oddly familiar with calling up the medical database.
    What I noticed now, that I didn't notice then:
    • The opening shot of the plasma field was absolutely gorgeous (and a little familiar...it was also used in 3.01 Evolution. Full disclosure: I had to look that up)!
    • It's really strange that the crew members on the other ship had mostly disappeared except the one they found dead, but it didn't seem like *finding* them was a priority. Figuring out what happened, yes, but not really looking for the crew.
    • They talk about the safety of the transporter in this one, and how it's the best way to travel and has a very low accident rate. I know there are tons where the transporter ends up being the solution to the problem of the episode; 2.07 Unnatural Selection always stands out for that one with Pulaski - who has also very anti-transporter. I'm trying to remember if there are episodes in TNG that had accidents, and I know there was one in 4.11 Data's Day but it turned out to be a Romulan rouse.
    What feels different now, than then:
    • Although I did remember this episode, I didn't realize there was another Barclay one that was yet to come after his introduction in 3.21 Hollow Pursuits and the one where he gets supersmart by aliens interfacing with him in 4.19 The Nth Degree.
    • I think this is the first time we've seen Troi take someone off duty, as she does with Barclay.
    • There is a note in this one that facing your fears...leads to more fears! But they still get overcome in the end. If Barclay can do it, so can you!
    What remained the same:
    • The idea of this one is creepy! Getting stuck in the transporter? And being mis-thought to be microbes? And I actually didn't understand it because the how The Enterprise crew got over to the other ship was by 'bridging' the two transporters and I think they explain it by saying the other ship tried to 'do the same thing'. How could they do that if they only had one ship? I kept going in and out on whether I felt like I understood this one.
    What I see differently:
    • I think it's sweet that the crew seemed to now have turned the corner on Barclay, and accept his odder-than-normal behaviour as just 'how he is'. O'Brien even tries to comfort him on getting over his transporter phobia by relaying his own story of fear about spiders. Not the way I'd go about it, but it was a nice effort!
    Great Quotes:
    • "I'm always nervous. Everybody knows that." - Barclay
    • "The idea of being... deconstructed molecule by molecule, it's more than I can stand. Even when I was... a child, I always had a dreadful fear that, if ever I was dematerialized, that I would... never come back again whole. I know, sounds crazy, but..." / "It's not crazy at all. You *are* being taken apart molecule by molecule." - Barclay and Troi
    • "Well, if I didn't know so much about these things, maybe they wouldn't scare me so much." - Barclay
    Left off at:
    They try and fix Barclay's microbe infestation by using the transporter and he grabs what he thinks is a 'microbe' which turns out to be a crew member from the other ship. When he is transported back, he relays the information and the remaining missing crew is saved.

     photo STTNG602RealmofFear35_zps27989ce3.jpg  photo STTNG602RealmofFear38_zpsb299db67.jpg
    Images Source: TrekCore

    No comments: