Wednesday, March 13, 2013

ST:TNG 5.25 The Inner Light ~ Star Trek: The Next Generation Re-Watch

Picard lives a lifetime through a 1,000 year old time capsule in 5.25 The Inner Light.
 photo STTNG525TheInnerLight1_zps5da7f6c4.jpg  photo STTNG525TheInnerLight29_zps9db79bc6.jpg  photo STTNG525TheInnerLight15_zps08e862bd.jpg
Images Source: TrekCore

Star Trek: The Next Generation Re-Watch continues with ...

The Inner Light
Season 5, Episode 25

Story:
  • When The Enterprise discovers a probe in space it affects Picard by relaying to him a lifetime of experiences of a 1,000 year old planet, while rendering him unconscious on the ship for twenty minutes.
    Character Focus:
    • Picard is the focus in this episode, as we see him live a lifetime as Kamin on the planet Kataan, which is a pre-warp society. He lives through at least 30 years there with his wife Eline, and together they have 2 kids Meribor and Batia (who was played by Patrick Stewart real life son Daniel Stewart) and one grandchild. We also see him learn to play the flute.
    • We also see through Picard the people from the planet Kataan who sent the probe into space as a way of letting their legacy continue after their civilizations are extinct from their sun going supernova.

     photo STTNG525TheInnerLight26_zpsc623fba2.jpg  photo STTNG525TheInnerLight35_zpsbbfb578b.jpg  photo STTNG525TheInnerLight39_zps1c6ab621.jpg  photo STTNG525TheInnerLight42_zpsaedb9f2f.jpg
    Images Source: TrekCore

    What I remembered about this episode:
    • I remember it as the Picard lives a lifetime one, and remembered that it was where he learned to play the flute .
    What I noticed now, that I didn't notice then:
    • I think this is the first time we see Nurse Ogawa on the bridge!
    • this is a very creative way to show an family life for a Captain, which is rarely something they even suggest in Star Trek.
    • The first scenes of Picard on the planet reminded me of the 1960's TV show The Prisoner.
    What feels different now, than then:
    • Almost everything. When I first saw this one I felt like it was a bit of a cop out because nothing is impacted at the end in the grand scheme of things, but now I see it as a lifetime of experience for Picard and a very creative play for a society to attempt to 'live on' in this way.
    What remained the same:
    • The end reminds me of Return of the Jedi, I know that might seem weird but when all the people of in Picard's life on Kataan say goodbye to him, and reveal that this is their story they want to live on, I feel like I'm 'seeing' Obi=Wan and Anakin.
    What I see differently:
    • This one used to feel to me like a reset one, but it does strongly impact Picard. I do still feel complicated by the fact that Picard never gets asked if he wants to live this other life, and the challenge and isolation to be displaced and for years upon years feel like you are from somewhere else.
    • I got a lot more out of this one on the rewatch, and it's one that I might even skip because you know at the end only 20 minute goes by and he wakes up. But I was really touched this time, especially when the flute was left for Picard in the probe.
    Great Quotes:
    • "But never in all the stories you've told me... have you mentioned anyone who loved you as I do." - Eline
    • "A good scientist functions by hypothesizing and then proving or disproving that hypothesis. That's what I did. " - Meribor
    • "The rest of us have been gone a thousand years. If you remember what we were, and how we lived, then we'll have found life again." - ElineTroi
    Left off at:
    The probe runs it's course and Picard lives a lifetime of memories of Kataan, which was launched over 1,000 years ago when their inhabitants realized their planet was near destruction and housed the communities memories in hopes that they would be experienced and remembered by a traveller. Picard awakes 20 minutes later on the bridge, and when the probe is examined the flute that Picard learned to play is found inside.

     photo STTNG525TheInnerLight49_zpscc0b2a6a.jpg  photo STTNG525TheInnerLight48_zps9a125b2a.jpg  photo STTNG525TheInnerLight58_zps1a9da96e.jpg
    Images Source: TrekCore

    No comments: