Friday, February 22, 2013

ST:TNG 5.12 Violations ~ Star Trek: The Next Generation Re-Watch

Trouble occurs when telepathic historians are aboard The Enterprise in 5.12 Violations.

Images Source: TrekCore

Star Trek: The Next Generation Re-Watch continues with ...

Violations
Season 5, Episode 12

Story:
  • The Enterprise is transporting three Ullians, a telepathic race of historians who have the ability to help people access memories that have escaped them.
    Character Focus:
    • The Ullians, the telepathic historians who are transporting on the ship: Inad, Tarmin, and Jev.
    • Troi is also a strong focus as she is psychically attacked and put into a coma along with both Riker also Dr. Crusher.


    Images Source: TrekCore

    What I remembered about this episode:
    • I remember remembered that Jev was the person causing the assaults.
    What I noticed now, that I didn't notice then:
    • They really slant it so you think Tarmin is the culprit, often through pretty seemingly harmless/flirty-like comments.
    What feels different now, than then:
    • The idea of collecting memories telepathically to create an anthropological record of a peoples is fascinating.
    • It's wild that even after Keiko's very positive experience, no one steps up wanting to have memories surface. In fact, the entire bridge crew one by one politely decline the offer.
    • It's odd that the psychics attacks we see them from the third person, seeing who is being affected and what happens to them. I know this is for the audiences benefit, but it felt weird. I guess we see those kinds of scenes more often, and a little differently now.
    What remained the same:
    • This episode is extremely disturbing, and the first one of the entire re-watch I considered not watching because of how disturbing it is.
    • I did love that when Troi figures out it's Jev fights back and really lets him have it. I do remember how shocking and surprizing that was at the time.
    What I see differently:
    • It was actually even more disturbing than I remembered, taking peoples memories and heightening the fear factor on them. And Jev continuing to attack Troi after saying things like "Why do you have to be so nice? ... So lovely?" CREEPY!
    • It's kind of odd that almost anytime they have a new telepathic race, Troi can't read them.
    • It is kind of confusing though, because some of the memories we know are real (Dr. Crusher seeing her dead husband Jack), but some seem less so (Riker bring at all forceful with Troi).
    • Picard's end speech about the 'seed of violence being in all of us' kind of freaked me out, because it feels like a possible justification. I think I must have missed something though, because that doesn't seem to be in line with his character.
    Great Quotes:
    • "I've been accused of putting people to sleep with one too many stories, Captain. But this is the first time it's ever been suggested that I might be the cause of someone's coma." - Tarmin
    • "It's not easy having an overbearing parent. Believe me, I know how you feel." - Troi
    • "Klingons do not allow themselves to be... probed." - Worf
    Left off at:
    When Data and Geordi realize the only Ullian that was present at all of the previous worlds travels that had similar comas was Jev, they find him in Troi's quarters and break up the telepathic and physical fight. Tarmin explains that this kind of violation hasn't occurred in over 300 years but they have records to work with help Jev.


    Images Source: TrekCore

    No comments: