Thursday, January 10, 2013

ST:TNG 4.07 Reunion ~ Star Trek: The Next Generation Re-Watch


Images Source: TrekCore

Star Trek: The Next Generation Re-Watch continues with Klingons, Klingons everywhere!!! Big ones, small ones, new ones, old ones, a Klingon for everyone in...

Reunion
Season 4, Episode 7

Story:
  • The Enterprise runs into a Klingon vessel with Ambassador K'Ehleyr aboard who approaches Picard as the Chancellor K'mpec of the Klingon High Council is near death and has been the only person who has successfully kept the 2 warring factions at bay. K'Ehleyr arrives to The Enterpirse with her (and Worf's) son, Alexander.
    Character Focus:
    • This is a character, and Klingon, heavy episode with the return of Ambassador K'Ehleyr who is involved in both the personal storyline and reconnecting with a now-discommendated Worf and their son Alexander. She's also involved in advising Picard in the political aspect of being the Arbiter of Succession, as he was chosen to do so by K'mpec.
    • There is also a strong focus on the two Klingons vying for succession, Duras who we last saw in 3.17 Sins of the Father and Gowron. They are also both suspects in the slow death of K'mpec.


    Images Source: TrekCore

    What I remembered about this episode:
    • Ah, where do I begin! I remember a lot about this episode: how tiny Alexander is, how BIG Gowron's eyes are, how shocking it was that K'Ehleyr returns with a son (at least there was a reasonable amount of time - that was back in Season 2 with 2.20 Emissary). I don't remember the political story of as much as the personal on this one, save the characters.
    What I noticed now, that I didn't notice then:
    • I think what I noticed now is that I totally MISSED that what was going to happen in this episode was that K'Ehleyr was going to die. I actually didn't remember that happened at all, not in this episode nor in the series. So sad, especially as she just found information that could clear Worf's name, I love how she was smart enough to find it! I will miss her.
    • I feel like I've been harping on the fact that this season has had episode after episode of family-related stories (see: 4.01 Family, 4.03 Brothers, 4.04 Suddenly Human and 4.06 Legacy), but to be honest I don't care that it's another one here because I adore all the people involved! K'Ehleyr, Alexander and Worf for the win!
    What feels different now, than then:
    • I see the threads of the stories of throughout the season with the Klingons in an aligned way and how it's logical for them to lead up to this play for power with Duras and Gowron.
    What remained the same:
    • I love Alexander! I know he's not in the episode a lot, but he's such a great character. And he really is so tiny, it's unbelievably cute to see him with Worf.
    • I also love the character of Gowron. He looks so crazy, and is oddly understated for a Klingon and seems to logic things out and acts pretty rationally. Bother are welcome additions to the TNG verse!
    • K'Ehleyr's discussion with Duras is one of my favourite exchanges in the series: "K'mpec was old and weak. I am not." You go K'Ehleyr!


    Images Source: TrekCore

    What I see differently:
    • It's quite shocking that Worf challenges and kills Duras out of vengeance for killing K'Ehleyr. Picard totally tells him what he did was inappropriate and gives him a reprimand, but you can tell his was not impressed.
    Great Quotes:
    • "Not even a bite on the cheek, for old times' sake?" - K'Ehleyr
    • "The Klingon who kills without showing his face has no honor. He must not lead the Empire. Such a man would be capable of anything - even war with the Federation." - K'mpec
    • "K'mpec was also stubborn; he, too, refused to listen. *Now*... he is gone. You need not make the same mistake." - Gowron
    • "K'mpec was old and weak. I am not." - K'Ehleyr!
    Left off at:
    Picard reprimands Worf for his vengeance action against Duras, and tells Alexander he will go live with Worf's human parents. It's unclear what will happen with the Klingon situation and succession ritual; does if Gowron becomes leader by default? Either by Duras being dead and/or possibly proved as the one who poisoned K'mpec? I'm not sure. Strange!


    Images Source: TrekCore

    No comments: