Images Source: TrekCore
Star Trek: The Next Generation Re-Watch continues with ...
Season 3, Episode 19
- The crew of The Enterprise notice Captain Picard is well overdue for a holiday and maneuver him into complying. He takes leave on Risa, where he encounters the time-travelling aliens The Vorgon who state that he will find what could be the legendary item Tox Uthat from their 27th century. He also encounters others looking for the artifact and teams up with Vash but not with the Ferengi Sovak from which Vash is avoiding.
- Picard is the clear focus here and it's first time we see him off the ship and vacationing with no ship business at all. It certainly lets us see that 'relaxing' certainly isn't in his regular recreation repertoire, which makes it all the more fun that he goes adventuring with Vash.
- Vash, who is one of the few characters whose motivations range on the more adventurous and playful side of things, although also venture into profit too. She's a great character.
- Although very little time is spent on The Enterprise, we do get some great moments with Riker, Troi and Beverly who all do their best to get him off this ship and have a good time!
- I remember Picard not having much luck relaxing, and the awesome character of Vash.
What I noticed now, that I didn't notice then:
- I was just feeling like here we are nearing the end of Season 3 with almost not Picard-centric episodes, and now we have back-to-back eps with this one and 3.18 Allegiance. AND Picard gets romantic with Vash in this one. That's a first, at least outside the usually under-some-kind-of-influence or replica action that's happened on occasion with Beverly.
- This one has nicely incorporated mythic-like adventure aspects with the legends of the Tox Uthat and the Vorgons. We haven't had these elements for a while, at least not since the mention of the Iconians in 2.11 Contagion.
- Retrospectively, I don't know how believeble it is that a Ferengi would work with a human woman, although they haven't been in TNG that much their views are pretty clear with the progression of the show as well as with DS9.
- The Vorgons in this episode looks a LOT like the aliens from the previous episode 3.18 Allegiance.
- Vash looks so much like one of my doctors, it's insane!
- It's a little odd for the time-travelling Vorgons to appear from the 27th century and it feels like they will be interact more, or affect things but they stay rather distanced and in fact leave without the artifact which means all they did was see if what has happened, would happen. Ugh. I hope I got my time travel tenses right!
- "The last thing you need is serious thought. Jean-Luc, why don't you go someplace beautiful, where you can relax and be pampered? You deserve it." - Beverly
- "From the moment I met you, I knew you were gonna be trouble." - Picard (to Vash)
- "You know, Jean-Luc, it's lucky for you we met. If it wasn't for me... If it wasn't for me, you'd still be back there sitting in the sun, relaxing." - Vash
When Picard figures out that Vash was about to leave with the Tox Uthat on her own and did a whole rouse to throw Sovak off the scent of it, the Vorgons appear and Picard gets The Enterprise to transporter-code-14 destroy the artifact. The Vorgons reveal that Picard destroys the Tox Uthat, just as their history books indicate.
Images Source: TrekCore