Monday, December 03, 2012

ST:TNG 3.15 Yesterday's Enterprise ~ Star Trek: The Next Generation Re-Watch


Images Source: TrekCore

Star Trek: The Next Generation Re-Watch continues with a shift in time in ...

Yesterday's Enterprise
Season 3, Episode 15

Story:
  • The Enterprise encounters a temporal rift from which it's predecessor The Enterprise C appears from 22 years in the past. This changes the current reality of The Enterprise D to be in a timeline where The Federation has been in a long-term war with The Klingons.
    Character Focus:
    • Although this episode certainly showcase the entire crew (either by their reappearance, exclusion or changes) but Guinan holds a special place in this episode as she can tell that something is wrong with where The Enterprise is and what's going on
    • Arguable though, Tasha Yar is the main focus of the episode as in this current she is still on The Enterpise and even falls for Enterprise C crew member Lt. Richard Castillo.
    • By omission, Worf plays a key role as he's talking to Guinan when the episode begins and then disappears shortly after the temporal rift appears but wouldn't be on The Enterprise when The Federation is at war with The Klingons.


    Images Source: TrekCore

    What I remembered about this episode:
    • I remember that it's a time travel episode, and oddly I remember that I didn't figure that out on the first watch and didn't even bat an eye when Tasha appeared. That is one of the strange things when you see things in syndication, a character who dies and later reappears you might just mistake for an old episode!
    • I remembered the Yar/Castillo romance, but WOW I didn't remember that there was so much of it in the episode. I bet the Yar fans were thrilled!
    • Oddly I also really remember this episode for the fact it has Worf's enthusiastic enjoyment of prune juice as well belief that human women are too fragile for him. Ah, Worf.
    What I noticed now, that I didn't notice then:
    • Everything! I knew from the moment in they changed versions which episode it was, and when they return from commercial break and Picard says 'military log' and 'combat date', plus the obvious switch of Worf for Tasha. There are so many ways that this episode feels different from the ones before it, from costume changes to little things in the background, it kind of freaks me out I didn't pick up on it on first watch.
    • Lighting is amazing, how it changes how literally the same set can look completely different. Amazing!
    • I *adored* Guinan in the episode. She is so strong in her belief that what she is feeling overrides any logic someone might place on it, and persists on saying just that it's wrong. It might be annoying to the person she's talking to (although Guinan isn't ever annoying that I can think of), and maintains the clear and simple truth that things are wrong. I loved the beauty of her clarity of vision, even though it was unspecific. Totally inspiring.


    Images Source: TrekCore

    What feels different now, than then:
    • There are a lot of science fiction shows that do time travel/alternate realities now so I'm way more familiar with this idea. That being said, it took almost to the end of the episode to realize they were showing a current-day, as opposed to future-version, of The Enterprise we know and love as it is the current time affected by something appear from the past. So often time-travel is about going back in time, not be affected now by the past coming to us. Whoa, that was almost too much thinking for one point!
    What remained the same:
    • Once I figured out it was different, I loved looking for all the differences and that was consistent on every future viewing.
    • It's really cool to see The Enterprise C outfitting in Wrath of Khan-esque era gear, Lighting is amazing, how it changes how literally the same set can look completely different. Amazing!
    • I like the fact that it ties into other parts of the series, as much as I love this show it's pretty 'wrap up at the end of the episode' style, so it's nice to get some variety as well as intrigue for the long term viewer.


    Images Source: TrekCore

    What I see differently:
    • I noticed all the little things, minute difference in characters like how Picard and Riker don't quite get along and most of Riker's suggestions get negated. I guess in a time of war his jovial personality is less command-centric. In contrast, Yar is thriving in the environment which is on character for her as well.
    • More character stuff of the bridge crew includes Wesley in a red shirt (amazing he lasted the episode!) and he's pretty much the same as is Geordi. Data is also similar to his counterpart including the role of getting to play the impartial logic card. And Troi is no where to be found on this version on The Enterprise, I guess there is either no counselor on the ship or they don't have contact with Betazed.
    • It's so weird to see The Federation at war with The Klingons, which lets me know I've gotten firmly rooted in The Next Generation. I loved that even a futile attempt to of the Enterprise C to help The Klingons could have turned it all around (and assumed given the outcome of the episode it did, however I only remember The Khitomer Accord to be the whole peace-with-Klingons-thing).
    Great Quotes:
    • "Every fiber in my being says this is a mistake. I can't explain it to myself, so I can't explain it to you. I only know that I'm right." - Guinan
    • "One more ship will make no difference in the here and now. But 22 years ago, one ship could have stopped this war before it started." - Picard
    • "We may never know what happens. If they succeed, we will not even realize that these events occurred."- Data
    Left off at:
    When Yar senses from Guinan that something is off and has the reveal that in the other reality she would have an empty death, she goes aboard The Enterprise C and help them with their fight in the past with The Romulans to help The Klingons. The Enterprise C does go back through the temporal rift and we return to regularly scheduled programming aboard our Enterprise D, who sees a ship appear and vanish and Guinan checks all is good. And Worf and Troi are back on the ship. YAY.


    Images Source: TrekCore

    2 comments:

    Sara Carbaugh said...

    Uggg totally one of my favs! (of course I could say that about 90% of these episodes..." I cry at the end everytime even though I know what's coming up in the next season... lol

    Shannon said...

    I hear you, this is totally a fave of mine too! Although I was never fond of Yar and this one is pretty Yar-heavy, there is so much to look for, I feel like I'm reading Where's Waldo? looking for all the clues.

    And yes, it's one of the few that has a past & a future :)