Thursday, November 22, 2012

ST:TNG 3.08 The Price ~ Star Trek: The Next Generation Re-Watch


Images Source: TrekCore

Star Trek: The Next Generation Re-Watch continues with a journey into love and negotiation with ...

The Price
Season 3, Episode 8

Story:
  • The Enterprise plays host negotiations for The Barzanians who are in possession of the 'first and only stable wormhole' and are ready to sell it and one of the negotiators in the running has not only has a steamy romance with Troi but also hides that fact that he too, in an empath.
What it's really about:
  • They do present the ethical question of using, or more succinctly disclosing, empathic powers. Plus if using them for profit vs protection changes the argument.
    Character Focus:
    • Troi is the focus as she is quickly taken with Devinoni Ral, and he very quickly sweeps her off her feet with a lot of classic player lines like "Who counsels the counsellor?". 
    • Devinoni Ral as a romantic interest for Troi as well as an amazing negotiator, but one who hides his empathic abilities from being one-quarter Betazoid .
    • Riker also plays a key role as he not only steps into the role of negotiating for The Federation but also has interesting interaction with Devinoni Ral in the negotiations as well as with regards to Deanna. 
    What I remembered about this episode:
    • I remember this one very clearly, from the romance between Troi and Devinoni Ral, the wormhole negotiation I think oddly above all else - Deanna and Beverly chatting while they work out.  They don't have lots of interaction that way, although Troi and Pulaski did a fair amount in Season 2.

    Images Source: TrekCore

    What I noticed now, that I didn't notice then:
    • Okay, Beverly's hair is short again!  How did that happen?  Wigs?  Are they out of shooting sequence? I'm so confused!
    • I wonder if this is the episode that on first watch turned my opinion of Riker around, as Devinoni Ral tries to get one over on Riker by saying that he'll end up with Deanna; but that makes Riker bust out into a big smile and says if Ral came make Deanna happy, nothing would please him more.
    What feels different now, than then:
    • We don't have many romance-centric episodes in this show and that's a clear focus here.  When it does happen, Troi is often involved although it's been a while since her almost wedding in 1.11 Haven.
    • This time I had moments where I wondered if Devinoni Ral did something to make Troi think about him, there were a few quiet indicators, but in the end I do think it was just that amazingly inexplicable being drawn to each other energy. 
    What remained the same:
    • I will loved the Deanna & Beverly chit-chat, it's nice to have camaraderie between them on the show.
    • One of my favourite parts of the entire series is when Troi calls out Ral and the Ferengi for not have any tension when there is a disagreement, and the Ferengi protests yelling "What?  I was tense!!" Hilarious.
    What I see differently:
    • Although it's mainly played for comedy factor, it's very shocking that the Ferengi small vessel that goes through the wormhole for research purposes ignores Geordi & Data's warnings that it will close, and therefore gets stranded out in the Delta Quadrant.  
    Great Quotes:
    • "Poker - is that a game of some sort?" - Riker
    • "My Human physical response must have been blocking my Betazoid senses." - both Deanna and Ral
    • "At the negotiating table... it can be fatal to have a heart. But I never realized how much I needed mine - until I looked at you."- Devinoni Ral
    • "I already have a job as counselor."- Troi
    Left off at:
    Devinoni Ral wins the bid on the wormhole even though it's deemed unstable and Deanna outs his empathic abilities to the buyer and everyone on the bridge of the ship.  Even with that, he asks Deanna to run away with him and be his conscience but she turns him down.


    Images Source: TrekCore

    2 comments:

    Paula - Buenos Aires said...

    Wow, that is a very detailed analysis! I used to watch this series. :)

    Shannon said...

    Hey Paula! Yep, I'm going detailed on this, .. not sure why but just feels like the right thing to do so I'm going with it.

    It was so nice to see ya at the Creativity Coffee last week! :)