Images Source: TrekCore
Star Trek: The Next Generation Re-Watch continues with Lwaxana's the search for a mate in ...
Season 2, Episode 19
- The Enterprise is transporting delegates to a conference for possibly joining the Federation, including 2 Antedeans in a coma-like state and Lwaxana Troi as ambassador to Betazoid. Turns out Lwaxana is entering The Phase and looking for a human mate, and pours through the possibilities among the crew of The Enterprise.
- Lwaxana Troi is back! We've not seen here since 1.11 Haven where she was on the show to marry off Deanna, but now she is the one hearing wedding bells as she is entering what the Betazoid call The Phase, when their sex drive quadruples (or more). She's on the ship as an ambassador in transit but really she's looking for human potential mates along the way, both Picard and Riker end up in the running.
- I remember this one well, and loved the how much Lwaxana is on it, and her bold and assured personality. I didn't quite remember that she outs the Antedeans as spies, although I do remember the race.
- When I saw the title of this episode I totally thought they would be going for a fugitive or tracking someone down, how awesome is it that the title still fits but with a very different meaning!
- I noticed this time that they are genuinely concerned about letting Lwaxana down, and don't want to hurt her, which rides a little below the surface especially considering the majority of this episode has a comedic flair to it.
- It might be the first time they are in the holodeck for a bit that doesn't have a huge impact on the story and that nothing goes 'horribly wrong' in the holodeck. Lwaxana does fall for the bartender and that seems to be a clever out on keeping her occupied until time to depart for the conference.
- I do find it strange that Lwaxana's telepathy doesn't match up what people seem to be thinking, although they explain in this episode it may be off to due The Phase, but it does seem to be part of her character in general that she keeps people on their toes saying what appears to be what she's thinking. Or are they really thinking it? It's a bit of a mystery.
- It was hilarious to see Lwaxana ask the computer for directions, because that makes her in fact speaking to herself as also voices the voice of the computer!
- I love Lwaxana! I have no idea how many episodes she's in overall, the last time we saw her was in 1.11 Haven where she tries to have Troi married. I see a theme follows her!
- Although I had forgotten it, I think it's cute that Lwaxana calls Troi "Little One"
- I laughed out loud when Picard is talking to the holodeck bartender Rex (who Lwaxana falls for), and Rex realizes he doesn't have a last name. I guess he never did in the books, therefore doesn't in the holodeck!
- It was interesting that when Picard 'escapes' to the holodeck, he wants a relaxing time but when set in the fictional world of Dixon Hill there was always an element of violence and mystery. Odd he didn't choose to go somewhere else, as not all 'escapes' are escape-y.
- "She has decided to focus all her sexual energy on one male, who will, of course, eventually become her husband. It seems, Captain, that... you are the early favorite" - Deanna Troi
- "Yes, it's something Troi warned me about when we first started to see each other. A Betazoid woman, when she goes through this phase... quadruples her sex drive." - Riker
- "What a handsome race" - Worf (regarding the Antedeans)
Lwaxana saves the conference by revealing the Antedeans delegates are actually assassins, and the crew survives her voyage without anyone having to married her or have to hurt her feelings.
Images Source: TrekCore