Images Source: TrekCore
Star Trek: The Next Generation Re-Watch continues with another kidnapping episode, all so Geordi can 'make it go'...
Season 2, Episode 17
- While Wesley heads to a Starbase to take entrance tests and is unexpectedly joined by Captain Picard who is attempting to quietly have an artificial heart replacement procedure. While they are away, The Enterprise encounters The Pakleds, who appear to be harmless and slow, and request help repairing their ship.
- Geordi gets some limelight action here, although he gets smack dab in the middle of the title heart of Smaritan Snare, helping out The Pakleds who end up taking advantage of him and hold his hostage so he can 'make them go' and 'make them strong'.
- Picard feels like the primary focus here, not only as we see him leave the ship to have the surgical procedure done elsewhere to save face, but also because Wesley asks him a little bit about everything from not starting a family to about why he has an artificial heart, so we get to hear the fabulous story of his fight with the Nausicaans. It's a great story.
- Wesley feels like a focus here, considering that he's taking the entrance exams (again), but it's more his long shuttle trip with Picard that shows their relationship as well as the awkwardness of spending that much time with someone you don't know that well, and who highly outranks you.
- Deanna also is highlighted here as she is 100% clear with Riker that Geordi is in danger, without a doubt, by being with The Pakleds.
- I mostly remembered The Pakleds, and how easily quotable they are on wanting to 'make us strong' and have Geordi 'make them go'. I also remembered the rouse that Riker plans out to get Geordi back. I however, completely forgot that it was the same episode of Picard's heart replacement.
- Worf was right! He's very clear that they shouldn't send the Chief Engineer and that a seemingly harmless aliens could be being deceptive. Usually Worf seems over the top and trigger happy, but this is a time where he was right.
- Deanna is really strong (and correct) that Geordi is in danger, and speaks up about it.
- I think the message for this episode is even with the best intentions, for ourselves or others, things may go completely haywire.
- I see the message about The Pakleds, who steal technology and do not have the patience to naturally evolve to understand it well enough to make it work, a little differently. Oddly, I feel like we are that that stage too, where there is so much technology and upgrading, yet rarely do we want to learn it, or even that it will take time to learn it. Have we become, The Pakleds? Where is Geordi!
- Because I didn't realize it was the same episode that had the story with Picard and the Nausicaans. I'm really looking forward to seeing more about that story.
- It's a pretty entertaining episode, I love the rouse and the whole upper level conversation that they have to communicate it with Geordi.
- I know they were at a quick-race to get to Picard, but it's kind of weird they just pretty much disarmed The Pakleds and took off. Should other people be warned? Hard to tell what, if anything, they'd do.
- "He is smart. He can make us go." - The Pakleds about Geordi
- "Believe me, they're nothing if not... persistent." - Geordi
- "Wishing for a thing does not make it so." - Picard
Riker's rouse works to communicate to Geordi and disarm The Pakled's ship so that he can be beamed back to The Enterprise, who then whisks away so Dr. Pulaski can perform the surgery and save Captain Picard.
Images Source: TrekCore