ST:TNG 2.16 Q Who ~ Star Trek: The Next Generation Re-Watch
Images Source: TrekCore
Star Trek: The Next Generation Re-Watch continues with the introduction The Borg, one of the big bads of TNG...
Season 2, Episode 16
- Q requests to become a member of the crew and when turned down, hurls The Enterprise far away to 'encourage' them to realize they aren't capable of doing everything themselves by way of introducing them to a new race of The Borg.
- Q appears for the third time in the series (See Season 1 Encounter at Farpoint Part I & Part II plus 1.10 Hide and Q) with the request to join the crew of The Enterprise after stating that The Q Continuum kicked him out.
- Guinan gets not only screen time but also some background story in this episode, including the detail that she doesn't appear to be human. Her people previously encounter the Borg and were almost completely wiped out.
- The Borg make their first appearance in the series, although it's inferred they were responsible for the destruction of Federation and Romulan outposts in 1.26 The Neutral Zone.
- I remember how odd and formidable the Borg were, and how scary it was that they didn't even bother communicating with The Enterprise crew, but just went right for their technology. Totally creepy.
- How cool it was that Guinan so quickly knows something is wrong, before the crew even notice Picard has been whisked away by Q she knows. Troi also senses something shortly there after.
- It's a little surprizing they went in the direction of the "Oh, you are so arrogant, there are so many things more powerful than you" root, because they have time and time again encountered those who were more powerful. Just in Season 2 we have the creatures they are transporting in 2.10 The Daulphin, whoever created the space in 2.12 The Royale, they mythical Iconians in 2.11 Contagion and Nagilum of 2.02 Where Silence Has Lease.
- I kind of blur all The Borg episodes together, so I was surprized a bit a how little Borg interaction there was.
- I totally missed the connection to the 1.26 The Neutral Zone with the fact that they connect the damage to those outposts.
- For a Q-titled ep, he's not in it that much.
- I love the mystery of Guinan's character. Who is she? What powers does she have? How is she so wise? Why is she on The Enterprise? She's totally cool.
- Picard's speech at the end which convinces Q to fling them back, totally reminded me of Labyrinth "You wanted to frighten us. We're frightened. You wanted to show us that we were inadequate. For the moment... I grant that. You wanted me to say, 'I need you'? I *need* you!"
- "You're an impossibly stubborn human." - Q
- "Well... perhaps what we most needed was a kick in our complacency - to prepare us for what lies ahead." - Picard
- "I add a little excitement, a little spice, to your lives, and all you do is complain." - Q
- "The hall is rented, the orchestra engaged. It's now time to see if you can dance." - Q
Picard convinces Q to return them to where they were and far away from The Borg, but also recognizes that they are a real threat and therefore indicates it may be time to star preparing for when they may meet again.
Images Source: TrekCore