Tuesday, October 30, 2012

ST:TNG 2.13 Time Squared ~ Star Trek: The Next Generation Re-Watch



Images Source: TrekCore

Star Trek: The Next Generation Re-Watch continues with one of my faves of Season 2!

Time Squared
Season 2, Episode 13

Story:
  • A shuttlecraft is drifting through space and when brought about The Enterprise it is discovered to have Captain Picard on board from 6 hours in the future.
Character Focus:
  • Picard is clearly the focus here, and although he plays dual roles as himself in this one, the future version is often non-communicative or passed out.  His current version has to deal with not only seeing himself (and not believing it) but alos plays the guessing game of 'what did I do to get us here?' or, there.....  UGH.  Regular grammar is tough enough, but add time travel and it's too hard to figure out!
What I remembered about this episode:
  • I LOVE this episode. I think it's the first one that really made me sit up and think that it was such an interesting idea that I had never thought of before.  Plus, I was totally freaked out about the 2 Picards!  Scary!T
What I noticed now, that I didn't notice then:
  • My goodness gracious, Patrick Stewart does an awesome job in the dual role.  You literally can feel which is the regular Picard and which is the future Picard.  Even the conversations with each other/self(ves), it feels like a living, breathing conversation. Amazing.
  • It started with an adventureous real-cooked meal by Riker for Geordi, Data, Worf and Pulaski which totally threw me off thinking it was a different episode, especially as we get a little into Riker's back story. 
  • They get into the referential game on this one a bit discussing other time travel encounters including The Traveller from 1.06 Where No One Has Gone Before and the Manheim effect from 1.24 We'll Always Have Paris.
What feels different now, than then:
  • I was a little surprized this brought up the Pulaski/Troi conversation (again) about if Picard was fit to continue to lead given the circumstances.  I was totally with Troi believing he could handle it.
  • There is a great Riker/Picard conversation about Picard's personality, decision making and captaining style that I'm sure totally flew over my head until now. 
What remained the same:
  • The tone of this episode is very unnerving the moment they open the shuttlecraft, you can just feel something is 'off' and it puts everyone on edge.  For that, it reminds me a little of 1.07 Lonely Among Us.
What I see differently:
  • I see this one pretty much the same, as I think it was amazing at the time and still holds up very well.  It's definitely one that if I randomly came across it on TV I would stop and watch it.  
  • I'm amazed with the rewatch how often the come across beings and creatures of higher power/intelligences or have encounters, like this one, that can remain a mystery even after they have survived them.  Wild.
Great Quotes:
  • "Captain's personal log, supplemental - I have just witnessed the total destruction of the USS Enterprise, with the loss of all hands, save one - me." - Picard 
  • "We may be on a road that has no turns" - Picard
  • "Flair is what marks the difference between artistry and mere competence." - Riker
  • "Well, they say if you travel far enough, you will eventually meet yourself. Having experienced that, Number One, it's not something I would care to repeat." - Picard
Left off at:
Picard decides to move forward he must stop the cycle of events and therefore kills his future self and takes the different action than future Picard took.  This takes The Enterprise into the anomaly and straight through into normal space. 


Images Source: TrekCore

No comments: