Images Source: TrekCore
Star Trek: The Next Generation Re-Watch continues into Season 2 with...
Season 2, Episode 10
- Wesley falls for Salia, whom The Enterprise is escorting along with her protector Anya from isolated protection to their home world where Salia is to become the world leader.
- Wesley is a focus here, and it's his first love episode so we gotta give him some props for that.
- The future world leader Salia and her protector Anya are also a strong focus, and one of the few times where we see people who actually are not what they seem (literally, they aren't humanoid but appear so to The Enterprise crew) but they aren't devious either, just 'more advanced'.
- This is an "Awww, first love!" episode. I also remembered the crazy teddy bear/sasquatch creature that they turn in to. I did mis-remember it as a different episode where there was love involved, I wonder when that on will turn up (it turns up in Season 5).
- The biggest thing I noticed differently on the rewatch was that it's pretty sweet of Wesley to try and share the 'wonders of the galaxy' with Salia. Wesley has actually consistently done this in Season 2 to newcomers on The Enterprise, giving them a different perspective as well as hope. I had no idea how much I dismissed his character when first watching the series.
- I also *loved* that Worf was the one who kept a constant guard on the option to not be deceived by what you can only perceive, and how he notes to Anya that she was a worthy opponent. Gotta love the strength and transparency of Klingons.
- I also noticed that when they arrive at the destination planet they transmit a signal with such vast power, that The Enterprise can't even respond, which is one of several notations in the episode that they are way more powerful that the crew and ship.
- There wasn't too much that felt too much different, although I tried to be more forgiving of the 'monster suit' creatures that they transformed into.
- I adored the scene where Riker courts Guinan as an example of flirting for Wesley. It's one of my favouite of the entire series, and I could probably quote it word for word. The line "Careful. Putting me on a pedestal so high, you may not be able to reach me. " by Guinan wowed me. What a great response (see the whole banter here).
- I loved all the different love advice that Wesley got from the crew, although it's a little strange he went to Geordi, Worf and Riker and didn't consider asking... Troi. Maybe it's a gender thing to ask only your gender-peers.He does open up to Guinan in the end though, and they have a great conversation.
- "Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." - Worf
- "You are no more an old woman than I am a leader." - Salia to Anya
- "Do not be fooled by her looks. The body is just a shell." - Worf
- "I'm never gonna feel this way about anyone else." - Wesley
Salia steps up to the plate of ruling her world and is transported off the ship, it almost ends on a sad note of a bad goodbye between her and Wesley but her rushes in at the last minute with a treat and she transports away in her true form which looks like light and energy.
Images Source: TrekCore