Tuesday, October 23, 2012

ST:TNG 2.08 A Matter of Honor ~ Star Trek: The Next Generation Re-Watch



Images Source: TrekCore

Star Trek: The Next Generation Re-Watch continues into Season 2 with...

A Matter of Honor
Season 2, Episode 8

Story:
  • Riker participates in a exchange program and becomes first officer of the Klingon vessel Pagh, at the same time a Benzite ensign serves on The EnterpriseBoth ships become affected by a small lifeform that eats away at their ships hulls.
Character Focus:
  • Riker is clearly the focus here, we get to see him in a completely different environment on the Klingon vessel as well as this adventurous spirit for even wanting to go, and being unafraid.
  • Ensign Mendon, a Benzite who participates in the exchange program and serves temporarily on The Enterprise, shows a little into Benzite culture the challenge of not adapting that well to different surroundings and protocols.
What it's really about:
  • I think the clear message here is that you have more success in another culture if you learn, adapt and respond to their cultural norms, policies and procedures.  It's also a way for the audience to learn more about Klingon culture. I think it also says we can all gain from learning from each other and working together.
What I remembered about this episode:
  • I think this is where I might have started to like, or at least see, Riker different.  I couldn't believe that he would be so gutsy to go on the exchange, and he really relished in the challenge and succeeded even though the environment was so much different than the Enterprise.
What I noticed now, that I didn't notice then:
  • Looking at this one more carefully, I'm a little surprized that the Benzite ensign wasn't aware of the correct Starfleet procedure to report that small lifeform as well as when he talks to Picard directly out of turn; I know this works for the story but he appears to be a Starfleet officer - is he from a Benzite ship?  Are Benzite ships Starfleet ships?  How are they run?  It got me all confused.
  • It's another time they seem to use 'real food' in Ten-Forward, they slowly seem to introduce this almost as a delicacy over synesthetic food throughout the series.  I'm going to keep an eye on this 
What feels different now, than then:
  • Oddly, not too much here feels different than my first views of the with the episode, except perhaps of being impressed by the fact that Wesley tries to keep Mendon motivated, and lets him know that mistakes happens and to just keep going and learn from it.
What remained the same:
  • Riker is awesome.  Gutsy, adventurous and he also is sensitive enough to get creative on adhering to the Klingon regs but also give the Captain of the Klingon ship an opportunity to not loose face or the respect of his crew.  That's class.
What I see differently:
  • One of the only things I see differently is that after watching all of TNG the Klingon culture is eased into use throughout the series and I love the Klingons so by now it feels pretty basic.  Season 1 had us introduced to the death ritual with 1.20 Heart of Glory, and I'm sure there will be much more in the seasons to come. 
  • I loved the scene in the Klingon mess hall where everyone is eating together, I think the only time Riker looks phased on the Klingon ship is when the female Klingons appear very interested in him!
Great Quotes:
  • "It's been my understanding that one of the duties of the first officer of the Klingon vessel is to assassinate his captain?" - Riker
  • "I'll do it your way. I'll work even harder than I did before. And I'll succeed brilliantly!" - Ensign Mendon
  • "I will obey your orders. I will serve this ship as First Officer. And in an attack against the Enterprise, I will die with this crew. But I will not break my oath of loyalty to Starfleet." - Riker
Left off at:
Riker saves The Pagh by getting command through transporting their Captain to The Enterprise is a clever trick.  Although Riker doesn't assassinate his Captain which would fit Klingon culture, he does act insubordinate upon the Captains return which allows for the opportunity for order, and honour, to be preserved.   Ensign Mendon also finds a solution to the small life form eating away at each of the ships hulls.

 
Images Source: TrekCore

No comments: