Thursday, October 18, 2012

ST:TNG 2.05 ~ Loud as a Whisper ~ Star Trek: The Next Generation Re-Watch


Images Source: TrekCore

Star Trek: The Next Generation Re-Watch continues into Season 2 with...

Loud as a Whisper
Season 2, Episode 5

Story:
  • The Enterprise is transporting the incredible mediator Riva to solve an extremely long dispute between two warring factions. 
Character Focus:
  • Riva and his chorus of The Scholar, The Warrior/Lover and Harmony who interpret and relay his thoughts are the focus here.
  • Deanna is also in the spotlight as not only does Riva take to her, but also as she ends up being in the position to mediate when things go haywire.
  • Geordi also has some spotlight time in terms of discusses is able-ness with both Riva and Pulaski (who offers the surgical option of giving him normal sight, something that previously was said to be impossible).
What I remembered about this episode:
  • I strongly remember this episode for so many different things.  I thought the idea of the chorus was fascinating and wondered if the there elements/perspectives they represented would encapsulate teh entirely of a person.  I think it might have also been the first time I really thought about the role as a mediator, what it means for not only the dispute but the role of the mediator themselves.  It really gave me so many ideas to think about.
What I noticed now, that I didn't notice then:
  • I didn't have too much new noticing, as I quite strongly retained this episode in my mind but I did think it was hilarious that Riker was quite unimpressed with Riva's confidence (although he reads as ...um... the same way....)
  • I did love how strong Troi was when she was being thrown into the situation on possibly being the replacement mediator, and her fierceness on taking any help she could get on doing something that she'd never done before.  That felt really brave.
What feels different now, than then:
  • Re-watching this episode I felt that Riva's connection with Troi to be forced and even a little inappropriate, he's clearly interested in here but I didn't feel the same as much from her and that seemed off even though the dialogue matches them.  It just didn't quite sit right with me.
  • I also thought the end scene with Picard and Troi where he indicates how much he values her felt a bit odd, not that it was unfounded, but I just didn't get it.  And it was even odder as the exact same line was delivered earlier in the episode.
What remained the same:
  • I'm still captivated by the idea, what it would mean to have different voices for different parts of yourself, and to have those divisions work together.  Fascinating.
What I see differently:
  • Not so much different, but I did totally forget that the chorus bites it on the planet and that throws Riva into a totally hissy fit and felt completely defeated.  
  • I also wonder how they knew that Troi was an empath, and mis-thought that perhaps Riva was a telepath which he didn't appear to be but was connected with his chorus.  I also wonder what or if the chorus got any off time.  Seriously... don't they get to go play tennis or something?
Great Quotes:
  • " The real secret is turning disadvantage into advantage." - Riva
  • "This is 'blue'. This is 'the blue ocean'. This is 'the blue ocean at sunset'. This is two people walking along the beach by the blue ocean at sunset. This is two happy people in love walking along the beach by the blue ocean at sunset. This is two people...." - Data
  • " Confidence is faith in oneself. It can't easily be given by another." - Troi
Left off at:
Riva uses his disadvantage as an advantage for the 2 warring sides who will learn sign language together and in that process will start to understand each other.


Images Source: TrekCore

No comments: