ST:TNG 1.24 We'll Always Have Paris ~ Star Trek: The Next Generation Re-Watch
Images Source: TrekCore
The Star Trek: The Next Generation re-watch continues with...
We'll Always Have Paris
Star Trek: The Next Generation - Season 1, Episode 24
- The Enterprise experiences a brief 'time loop' all over the ship and gets reports from nearby, then they receive a distress call from an area that has Dr. Manheim who has been experimenting with some radical theories on time in an attempt to contact other universes. Picard also has unresolved emotions regarding the now-Mrs.Manheim.
- I think this is the first time they've discussed idea of time not being constant (oh, they might have in Where No One Has Gone Before), and that's definitely what I remember about the episode; that being said the thread of Picard's previous relationship with Mrs. Manheim is a really important part of the story.
- Picard is the focus here, and we see into his past through how he deals with (and dealth with) his relationship with Mrs. Manheim. It's weird because as I write that I know we 'see' that, but it doesn't seem like we get a lot of depth which is odd considering it's a relationship. We do find out that he stood up an old flame at the Café des Artistes in Paris.
What I remembered about this episode:
- I remember being freaked out at the time loops, especially when people see themselves from different times, or even the deja vu-ness, both are really freaky.
- Picard gets a little 'this is fooey!' when using the holodeck to try to deal with his emotions (on Troi's recommendation). It's an interesting idea, and maybe the first time we've seen the holodeck used in this manner.
- When writing this up I realized that the two stories of time loop & relationship are actually connected, as some people we continue to see them 'as they were' as opposed to 'as they are now', especially if we've not seen them for some time.
- I'm very suprized that I didn't remember the emotional element, I did remember that part of the story, but I was much more drawn to the time loop idea.
- We see Beverly get almost-jealous, and I was surprized that thread shows up this far back in the series in terms of being vocalized. Troi does discuss it with her in sick bay.
- The time loops still freak me out! Can you imagine seeing yourself? Oh my. that would scare me!
- This is one I have a hard time connecting to the episode title of "We'll Always Have Paris", because they only go to Paris on the holodeck (and in memory).
- I did get this one confused with another 'Data saves the day' episode, especially when looking at the image at the top I thought it was the "Amber, Amber" episode. They certainly do rely on Data a lot for being able to be logical and unnerved by the out-of-the ordinary.
- "Oh, we are us, sir. But they are also us. So indeed - we are both us... " - Data
- "Enough of this self-indulgence!" - Picard
- "She may be in the here and now; but it's the ghost he sees." - Beverly
Data saves the day by patching up the experiment equipment, and Dr. Manheim makes a recovery from his illness from experiencing the different universes. It does hold a door open to the idea of different universes, although I'm not sure how soon/when they will explore or experience that again.
Images Source: TrekCore