Friday, September 28, 2012

ST:TNG 1.18 Home Soil ~ Star Trek: The Next Generation Re-Watch


Images Source: TrekCore 

The Star Trek: The Next Generation re-watch continues with...

Home Soil
Star Trek: The Next Generation - Season 1, Episode 18

Story:
  • The Enterprise visits a terraforming station which isn't that happy to see them, but does let them on to the station at which time one of the terraformers is killed.  When it's clear that there was intent behind the death, the mystery of who is responsible starts to unravel a much larger mystery. 
What it's really about:
  • A discussion what is life?
  • Don't mess with inorganic life.
  • And when you think there could be life... don't terraform!  When will people learn that there are *no* lifeless planets?  AKA Just because we don't see/understand that life is there, life could be there.
Character Focus:
  • I think this one is more of a general discussion of life, and the focus is on the inorganic life form as well as the terraformers, but not so much any particular crew member although we do see Beverly in deductive action as well as seeds planting in Data's head on the discussion of what is life (and if he is included in that definition). 
What I remembered about this episode:
  • It's quotability.  This one is officially known to me as "Ugly bags of mostly water".  Always will be.  I didn't even remember the terraforming bit, so this one it took me quite a while to recognize which episode it was.
What I noticed now, that I didn't notice then:
  • I actually found the deductive reasoning of trying to solve the mystery quite compelling, even though I knew where it was going it was cool to see. 
  • Troi gets Riker to talk to the woman terraformer because she think the woman will be more responsive to him.  Wild.
What feels different now, than then:
  • There was such a strong air of suspicion from the terraformers, especially the director that I'm surprized that they didn't know about the lifeform.  Even though they had seen things, like patterns in the sand but just thought it was random and kept going.  Makes you wonder, what's a sign and what isn't? 
  • I'm surprized that being 17 episodes in and this is at least the third, fourth or even fifth entity they've encountered that is leaps and bounds ahead of them, and they barely even knew it was there.  The lifeform said not to come back for at least 300 years.  .
What remained the same:
  • Once I realized which one it was, I was just waiting for the quote!  Humans as 'ugly bags of mostly water'. Too funny! 
What I see differently:
  • Hindsight is 20/20, but it does make me wonder if we've ever seen terraforming work anywhere in science fiction.  It almost always goes wrong.  I'll keep my eyes open for examples of it working.
Great Quotes:
  • "Ugly giant bags of mostly water." - Inorganic Lifeform via The Universal Translator
  • " Disregard incongruity, and theorize as to source." - Beverly
  • "Only life can replicate itself, Doctor. Inorganic or not - it is alive." - Data
Left off at:
After finding a way to make the lifeform weaker after it's declaration of war, The Enterprise dims the lights and drains it's power which leads them to a stand off of returning the lifeform to the planet and being directed not to return for at least 300 years.


Images Source: TrekCore 

No comments: