Thursday, September 27, 2012

ST:TNG 1.17 When the Bough Breaks ~ Star Trek: The Next Generation Re-Watch


Images Source: TrekCore 

The Star Trek: The Next Generation re-watch continues with...

When the Bough Breaks
Star Trek: The Next Generation - Season 1, Episode 17

Story:

  • The Enterprise finds a planet of mythical standing, who invites them through their shield and cloaking device to open negotiations: for children as their have become sterile and need a new generation to rebuild.
What it's really about:
  • I think this message is clear: Don't mess with people's kids.  They'll fight ya from them.
  • We also have an environmental message as the sterility of the inhabitants is come from something similar to the ozone.
  • There is also an undercurrent about understanding the technology you have, and not just letting it do everything for you; Wesley notes this when he says that all computers need maintenance (oh, how I wish that wasn't true...).
  • It's also an episode that highlights that there are many families aboard The Enterprise, and that those families agreed to the risks involved of being on a starship.
Character Focus:
  • Wesley has the strongest focus of the main cast, as he is included as one of the abducted 'children', although he's a lot older than any of the other kids. 
  • It was wild too see that one of the planetary folk, Radue, was played by Jerry Hardin whom I know best from his role as Deep Throat on the X-Files.  Perhaps that is why I didn't trust him right from the get go!
What I remembered about this episode:
  • I remember it as the 'kids get stolen' episode.  Although, this was so far the hardest episode to place, it took me a good 11 minutes to figure out which one it was even though it was clear pretty quickly it was a kid-centric episode.  
  • One of the little girls is ridiculously cute.  I totally remember that (see pic below)
What I noticed now, that I didn't notice then:
  • We saw so few people that represented an entire planet, yet what did they do?  It was clear no one seemed to work on the computers and they refer to scientists but it doesn't seem like they are around.  They want kids with arts adeptness, but are they artists themselves?  What do they create? And for whom?  I guess I didn't understand the world very well.  I really hope they weren't saying that if you have everything taken care of for you, only then can you focus purely on art.  I can't image that being the case though.
  • I was really surprized to see Picard play along with the negotiations of the children, just to keep them talking as if it was revealed they weren't open to discussion they would lose the option forever.  
What feels different now, than then:
  • One of the notions that I really didn't like about this one was that they stole kids with artistic potential, and it was something none of them were using or even felt akin to.  Having someone else define what you are 'suppose to do' was oddly horrifying.  Isn't it worth taking that journey yourself?
    What remained the same:
    • I found it very strange the devices they used to create art with the children, they are very hands-off.  I don't understand how they work, and I don't understand why it'd be desirable and/or better for them to be so un-tactile.
    • All the kids, save Wesley, had artistic inclinations which made it a little weird that he was chosen.  But it makes sense from the perspective that we see the story through him, and he puts the kids into action. 
    • Little kids taking Calculus! hahaha...
    What I see differently:
    • This one reads about the same to me: don't steal peoples kids, people aren't merchandise, you can't pretend to be happy when you aren't and I still felt really weird about the arts stuff and I feel very strongly about people choosing their own path.
    • I was surprized it ended amicably. 
    Great Quotes:
    • "Things are only impossible until they're not!" - Picard
    • "Captain, I am not aware of Regulation 6.57." - Data, on Picard's created regulation to ensure Beverly can beam down to the planet
    • "The legend will die. But the people will live." - Picard
    Left off at:
    After a passive stand off by Wesley and the kids, Data finding a way through the shield and him & Riker shutting down the power supply plus Beverly finding a way to treat their radiation poisoning, they finally convince the planet folk to give up the kids and start learning a-new themselves.


    Images Source: TrekCore 

    No comments: