ST:TNG 1.10 Hide and Q ~ Star Trek: The Next Generation Re-Watch
Images Source: TrekCore
The Star Trek: The Next Generation re-watch continues with...
Hide And Q
Star Trek: The Next Generation - Season 1, Episode 10
- While en route to help a planet which requires emergency medical treatment, The Enterprise encounters Q, who this time takes an interest in Riker and puts the crew through tests to see how he will react.
- That it's the one where Q gives Riker the power of Q.
- Definitely demonstrates the idea of absolute power corrupts absolutely, they even quote that quote in the show. It also could say that power, isn't everything.
- Also addresses temptation, and that getting to a goal on your own merit/time can be the choice of fast tracking.
- And it also tells us that Q is here to stay on the series - only 10 eps in and we have a second grandiose appearance.
- Riker is the focus here, as Q has chosen him to give the power too. We also get to see how he sees and thinks of the bridge crew (Wesley, Worf, Geordi and offered to Data) as he grants them what he believes to be their greatest desires.
- We also get insight into Wesley, Worf, Geordi and Data as the gifts are offered and their responses. I was most surprized that Data outright stopped and turned down the offer to be human before Riker could materialize it.
- Tons of Shakespeare references and chatter between Picard & Q, I love how Picard takes Q head on and doesn't even falter for a moment. I also loved that he stood up for Riker and said he would make the right choice (even though Riker didn't!).
- Riker gets crazy arrogant post-power-of-Q, even when he decides not to use it, he still acts very superior.
- Picard actually wagers with Q! The ship for the non-interference of Q, although I don't think either of this was held up I felt very suprized he would gamble his ship!
- Q is very entertaining! I can't help it, he's one of the best guest stars on the series and I do enjoy when he pops up. Even if he's always a troublemaker.
- The moment they were beamed down to the planet, I thought it was another episode. I was very sad it wasn't, shall we say, more Yar-centric. Ah, well! I think that one is still Season 1 so it should be pretty soon.
- "What is this need of yours for costumes, Q? Have you no identity of your own? " - Picard
- "But it won't be boring. If Q is anything, he's imaginative." - Riker
- "Oh, I know Hamlet. And what he might say with irony, I say with conviction: "What a piece of work is man! How noble in reason! How infinite in faculty! In form, in moving, how express and admirable! In action, how like an angel! In apprehension, how like a god!" - Picard
- "Sir, how is it that the Q can... handle time and space so well, and us so badly?" - Data
Riker returns everyone to normal and feels a fool to be drawn by the power of Q.
Images Source: TrekCore