Thursday, September 13, 2012

ST:TNG 1.07 Lonely Among Us ~ Star Trek: The Next Generation Re-Watch



Images Source: TrekCore

The Star Trek: The Next Generation re-watch continues with...

Lonely Among Us
Star Trek: The Next Generation - Season 1, Episode 7

Story:
  • While The Enterprise experiences several technical oddities and energy surges through the ship (and crew) while transporting two conflicting races to a peace conference.
What it's really about:
  • To be honest, I fine the message here not entirely clear. It could be that there are things out there that are so different that be barely can understand or connect with. I think that is what it is.
  • We also get to see any of the characters who are 'taken over by' the energy as not quite themselves; it's quite early in a series to do that because we don't know the characters yet. Even so, Patrick Stewart goes a great job on created the dual-influenced Picard that's hard to tell if he is, or isn't, himself.
Character Focus:
  • This episode doesn't have a character specific focus, although Worf, Beverley, Wesley, Picard and the two alien races are involved a lot in the episode, I don't feel like any are actually featured..
  • We also get to see Yar and Riker doing a fair amount o of day-to-day operations while managing the warring aliens that's pretty entertaining, and Data takes on a Sherlock-Holmes persona for a bit.
What I remembered about this episode:
  • My memory of this episode is actually surrounded more on one of the things I'm doing here: Comparing what happens in the episode, to what the episode is really about and also what I remember from it. I remember seeing the first image (top left, blue electric stuff) in an episode guide of the series and I was *convinced* I had never seen this one, because I didn't remember this image. I waited and waited for it to be on TV (which was harder then than it is now!) and when I finally saw it I was like... oh, ... they get taken over by energy and aren't themselves as opposed to the picture we see it as like some kind of crazy and possibly action-oriented episode.
What I noticed now, that I didn't notice then:
  • This episode seems to plant the seeds that the characters like mystery (historical & fictional), and introduces the love and exploration of Sherlock Holmes.
  • Could be the first time we see them in dress uniform!
  • I totally forgot about the 2 alien races, as they aren't the cause of the happenings on The Enterprise.
  • I think it's the first red-shirt moment when an engineer dies, although... he is wearing a yellow shirt.
What feels different now, than then:
  • Yar seems repulsed by the idea of eating meat from a live animal, and Riker mentions that they don't 'slave animals' anymore. More forward thinking here! Although they do allow the aliens to bring their own live animals aboard for food.
  • I can really see the difference in the level of acting depending on the actors.
  • I actually was rather entertained by the 2 alien races who keep attacking each other on the way to a peace conference, it had a great everyday-life on the ship feel to it.
What remained the same:
  • Actually, nothing - because although I know I saw this one originally, my strongest memories of it are mis-thinking I hadn't seen it.
What I see differently:
  • I'm starting to really notice that the peripheral parts of the stories and the things that don't contribute to the mystery, I often have forgotten. Which means by default, what I remember is the cause of the effect on the episode.
  • I also realize that I don't actually understand the title. Who is lonely? Are they among us? Or was it only briefly so?
Great Quotes:
  • "You've seen something as fresh and tasty as meat, but inorganically materialized, out of patterns used by our transporters." - Riker
  • " A mystery is only a mystery as long as it remains uninvestigated, sir." - Data
  • "We can learn something from non-disclosure?" - Yar
Left off at:
Transporter saves the day (I'm sure this is the first of many), the seem to beam back the Picard that went randomly out into the energy entity in space. Felt a little too tie-it-up-with-a-bow simplistic for me, but I'm thankful they got Picard back!


Images Source: TrekCore

No comments: