Images of the plot of the episode... *
The Star Trek: The Next Generation re-watch continues with...
The Naked Now
Star Trek: The Next Generation - Season 1, Episode 3
- Thr Enterprise rendezvous with a ship whose crew obliterates themselves while observing a red dwarf collapse. After an away team trip to the ship, the crew of the Enterprise start to be affected with the same thing which leads them to intoxicated-like behavior.
- I think this episode is a way to honour and note The Original Series and a way to say "Although we are similar, we are also different". The drunk-like behavior affecting thing that touches the crew also happened The Original Series Enterprise, although the cure was different.
- It also is a way for the audience to see the crew in a more 'relaxed' state, which is quite unusual to so early in a series, even though it leads to some very memorable moments.
- This one is about the crew as a whole, although we do see insight into Geordi, Yar and Wesley when they are 'intoxicated'
- Wesley in particular is in focus as he decides to take over Engineering, we get to see a focus on his intelligence, his disregard of authority as well as his desire to please.
- We see more relationship drama between Troi & Riker, great tension between Picard & Beverly and an actual hook up with Data & Yar.
- I mostly remember this one of the great moments between Beverly & Picard, and if this episode was on TV I would watch it just for that.
- I remember on the first watch I was a little miffed that they did a call back to The Original Series, I mean we were just starting to get to know the characters and we are thinking about their predecessors? But now, that doesn't really bother me as it's pretty light reference in comparison to what is done in other episodes across the different Trek series.
- Riker again feels a little at odds here, but is surprizingly less effected by the drunk-like thing than everyone else. It's odd to rewatch it because I didn't like him when the series came out, and now I'm like telling my earlier self to give him a chance!
- It's odd that Worf appears to be unaffected, yet they don't like... hand over the ship to him or something.
- This one still feels pretty silly.
- It's totally cool that there was a ship checking out a red dwarf star collapse. I forgot how much of the show really is about scientific exploration and discovery, so many scifi shows use space as a setting for battles and I find the science angle very refreshing!
- Troi's in pants now, I didn't realize the short skirt was nixed so quick, I guess they got some pretty quick feedback.
- Data still feels a little Lore-ish.
- I can take this one more as a fun-one over 'not being serious enough'. Nothing wrong with fun!
- Who is that lady who is the Chief of Engineering? Harmph.
- "It was an adult who did it!" - Wesley
- "Not now, Doctor!" - Picard
- They solve the mystery, inoculated the crew and even though Wesley caused a lot of trouble in the episode he is acknowledged as helping to save the day. Plus, Yar tells Data 'it never happened'.
- I think it's safe to say the Data/Yar hook up and confirmation of Data as 'fully functioning' is one of the most quoted/noted/referenced moments of the series.
- That being said, for me the best moments are between Beverly and Picard, especially by the turbolift. Fabulous.
* And what it's really remembered for...