Saturday, September 22, 2012

ST:TNG 1.12 The Big Goodbye ~ Star Trek: The Next Generation Re-Watch


Images Source: TrekCore 

The Star Trek: The Next Generation re-watch continues (albeit slightly out of order...) with...

The Big Goodbye
Star Trek: The Next Generation - Season 1, Episode 12

Story:
  • To take a break from preparing with an encounter with a very strict on etiquette insect-like race, Picard makes use of the Holodeck to explore the world of Dixon Hill, a fictional private detective character from the 1940's set in San Fransisco .
What it's really about:
  • It's out first episode almost entirely set in the Holodeck, so we get to see how it works (and how it doesn't) as well as getting to know the Dixon Hill character.
  • It also points to that taking a break can help you out with a stressful situation, although it does lead to pretty extreme places and maybe that helps with the perspective of how well the studying went in the first place, but that might be looking too deep.
  • There is an interesting piece in this one to how people react in what is perceived as a non-dangerous environments.
  • It's also a great example to see how 2 parts of the same team work when apart, as communication is lose between the bridge crew & the folks on the Holodeck.
    Character Focus:
    • We get to see Picard in a relaxed environment, in fact he's so excited about the reality of the Holodeck that he's actually quite excitable in a bridge staff meeting and it's really cute.
    • It's also an introduction to Dixon Hill, which I thought was an actual pre-existing literary character, but actually looks like he is Trek-specific & created! One cool thing about that is that Picard really *is* the character as he is who we see him through.

    What I remembered about this episode:
    • I mostly remembered this as the first Dixon Hill episode, and the whole 'correct pronunciation is really important' with these aliens, although I didn't remember that it was inferred the Enterprise would be blown to bits if Picard messes it up.
    What I noticed now, that I didn't notice then:
    • I definitely appreciate the time period a little more, and the sense of excitement.  I never was big on the Holodeck episodes or the wonder of them. 
    • I love the different tactics they had to revert to with the gangster thypes when they realized that they couldn't get out of the Holodeck.
    What feels different now, than then:
    • I really thought that the 20th century historian who gets shot in this episode, actually died in the Holodeck.  I was very surprized that he survived.
    • I also thought that this wasn't the episode where the gangsters try to leave the Holodeck, and when they do they survive for a bit.
    • I really felt for the character who plays the cop in the Holodeck who when it's revealed he's not real, gets pretty sad and longing.
    What remained the same:
    • I always love any episodes that have some great interaction between Beverly & Picard, and with this fictional setting and 40's awesomeness that was definitely something to enjoy.
    What I see differently:
    •  I didn't love the Dixon Hill eps on the first go but I do love the awesomeness and stylish-set of the 40's so I think I might like them more this time round.

      Great Quotes:
      • "He's, er... he's from... South America." - Picard regarding Data
      • "Senseless killing is immoral. But killing for a purpose... can be quite often ingenious." - Cyrus Redblock (Holodeck character)
      • "I spell knife with an 'n'. But then I never could spell." - Picard
      Left off at:
      Wesley saves the day by fixing the Holodeck, and Picard saves the day by saying the traditional and required formal greeting to the strict alien race & honouring them.

      Images Source: TrekCore 

      No comments: