Thursday, August 16, 2012

Back to Blog Reading



Yesterday I shared that I was getting back to reading my Google Reader after a huge clean-up (both paring down & building up), and I was very curious to see if after 1 day if the results of new entries to enjoy were overwhelming.

Why I had to go to 'overwhelm' first is kind of telling, eh?

Guess what? It wasn't overwhelming! There were 10 lovely posts to enjoy (well 9, I didn't have to read my own...), and it was easy to enjoy them one at a time. Not overwhelming at all. In fact it was inspiring and made me think. Oddly, it made me think about logistics and habits a fair amount.

A Few Things I noticed:
  • I love that half-second moment where you see a text name of the picture before the image appears. It's pretty rare I'd champion waiting for a computer to do something, but that brief insight into peoples minds though their naming conventions is fascinating to me. Is it a name that is the item (Pink Crocs), or a number, or the cameras naming convention (DSC3309), or a stock image (Pencil86). It could be anything, just like a fast-unwrapping of a present it's very quickly revealed. Actually, thinking about it so intently it was sad when there wasn't any name but just the image! *
  • Would I read it in the reader, or click through? I clicked through a few times but in general I read them in the reader. Some are posted by a name other than who I associate them with, which felt a bit odd, especially when it's so clearly written by the blog author. I'm still mulling that one over.
  • The order in which I read them... usually I'm a in-order kind of person, and with this that would make it a top to bottom reading, but today I did that for a bit and then jumped around, and saved on that I was really looking forward to for last (which was Andrea Schroeder sharing Episode 2 of Creative Dream TV and how to handle limiting beliefs, fear, doubt and shame)
  • After I read them, I closed Google Reader. I know new posts will likely come up today, but I can enjoy them tomorrow morning a-fresh instead of darting my eye over to the tab through the day to see if anything is new. They will keep until tomorrow, when I have a nice cuppa tea to enjoy them with.
*for the record, the naming convention I like3 to use is date taken and then a description (ie 2012.08.16 Computer) so that I can easily sort them chronologically in explorer. I know it's not the best SEO way, but that's not my focus. I do it so I can sort and find stuff on my computer. If you want to give that way a try, remember you have to have a word after, otherwise it cuts off the last number for some reason which is really weird.

4 comments:

Andrea said...

Ohmygosh that is the best compliment ever! Big hugs!

Shannon said...

You are welcome Andrea! I've been very inspired by your videos and I always look forward to your new posts :)

Suzie Ridler said...

I have to figure out a way to do that organization trick Shannon, that is so smart! It is so lovely to pair down blogs to the ones that you really want to read regularly. I did that too and what a difference. And so awesome not to be overwhelmed! I'm glad that you found a system that works for you Shannon. :)

Shannon said...

It took a while to do Suzie, but it was very worth it. I hadn't looked at it for so long that now the ones I've brought in are very managable (so far!) And I've totally given myself permission to add or remove on how I feel, it's my reading and I can cultivate it any way I like!