Wednesday, May 02, 2012

Watch Stargate SG-1 - Megalist #113 Complete!



Mega-List #113: Watch Stargate SG-1
  • Started: July 25, 2011
  • Completed: May 2, 2012
  • Number of seasons: 10
  • Watched via: Season 1 on DVD from the library, seasons 2-10 on SPACE
  • Status: COMPLETE!
I MADE IT!

I'm actually quite surprized I did. I think each and every Mega-List Status Update I did I said something to the effect of "I think I'll stick with it". And, I watched 179/214 episodes, but I still consider it complete as I only took breaks during festival and the occasional missed episodes.

How I watched
I watched S1 and S2 in tandem, missing the first season when it was on Space. I had done this before and though "I'll catch it next time round", but then for months and months and months it didn't get back to square one. So I watched 'em both at the same time.

The show started as my 'get home from work and work out show' when it aired at 6pm on Space, and during the fall of 2011 I did 22 workouts while watching including just over 1000 push ups and a whopping 7070 sit ups! During that time I also watched several episodes at my Mom's house where I'd buy her groceries and she'd cook me dinner - and explain the show. I still didn't understand all of it! And then during the holiday season between 2011/12 they changed it from being on at 6pm to 7pm which really didn't work for me so I...shudder....watched it at 7AM. So early. I would watch it as I got ready for the day, often getting the final touches on blog posts, podcasts, having breakfast and other day to day tasks. I'll have to admit my attention span is less at that time of day and I definitely multi-tasked a lot.

But I still stuck with it.



Why did I want to do this?
I'm a big fan of science fiction, but this show never was quite on my radar when it came out and never circled back in at any particular time. But, I knew there were cultural references I was missing and wanted to see what it was all about. It did worm it's way into my heart by the mid-seasons of 4-7 which I think were my favourites. I did love seeing tons of guests stars, and always enjoyed episodes where you really 'saw' the characters for who they were; when they were pushed to the limits or can't fake out on their own beliefs. But I knew I wasn't a true fan, because after watching tons of 'genre' shows, I know the ones that play to their fans, and those were episodes that I didn't connect to. Often comedy centric, other worldy (but still comedy), or ones with emotional reflection/clip-ish show, nods to the culture, etc. I didn't connect to those.



But I still stuck with it.

The Experience of the Long Haul
Once I had established the pattern of watching, it wasn't really all that hard to do - especially when it changed over to the morning timeslot. Even though I liked that time less, it was on a channel I love and often watched and at a time I was never committed to anything else. So, sticking with it wasn't a challenge. But I kind of wanted it to be a challenge, so that kind of cheeses me off! Not that I want more challenges - I think I have enough, but still. It was like a reminder that watching something, even if it's long, isn't necessarily 'hard'. Does it take a long time? Yes. Does it take commitment? Yes. Is it 'hard'? I would have to say no.

But I still stuck with it.



It's the WHO not the WHAT
I usually choose what I watch based on cast or concepts, but what keeps me with a show is the characters. And I liked many of the characters. The original, core characters especially. I wasn't always a huge fan of change and I didn't quite warm up 100% to the folks outside the original cast. There is one exception to that - I loved the character of Jonus (played by Corin Nemec); who was enthusiastic but inexperienced, a great combo for a new character - and I think that character gave me new eyes to the show figuring out stuff that I didn't understand, and affirming what I didn't know that I knew, but actually did know. But mostly it was the enthusiasm. The shows also had a hell of a lot of amazing guest stars over the years, and I loved many of them but no one was as impressive as a Michael Welch as a young Jack O'Neill in S7 Ep03 Fragile Balance. Wow. Amazing.

The Opinion That Changed
I think one of the funniest things about the experience was that I initially hated the spoiler-ific “Next time on Stargate SG-1” promos; but then if I knew I was going to miss the next episode I would watch them and then retrospectively I would understand what happened better than if I had watched the show! So weird. Of course by the time I appreciated them, poof! Gone! They stopped using them.


Did I 'Get' It?
I think it's a bit crazy I stuck it through all the way to the end. I never understood the science (maybe this was why I liked O'Neill's character so much as he would basically just drilled it down to “So, can we do it? Great! Let’s go!”). That's how I felt about the science, the tech and lore of the show - they'll figure it out, and I'll just wait until they'll tell me it works. I wasn't a super fan. I'm not even sure I'd call myself a fan. Committed to the cause, yes. Fan? I don't know. I think I need to see if I'd start re-watching favourite eps or using show lingo to say that.

And Now...
I feel like I should have more reflection or wisdom on the experience. But I don't . I wanted to see if I could do it, and I did. Would I do it again? I don't know. Will I continue on my epic Mega-List quest, including tons of TV to watch and re-watch? Hell yes! I'm up for more.

A huge thank you to SPACE for airing the ENTIRE SERIES and to the Toronto Public Library for having Season 1 available for borrowing; you were the METHOD of my MADNESS.

Now the big question is: What's next?

First: Sleep. And hopefully I don't automatically wake up at 7AM. I did not intend to cultivate THAT habit!


Me watching the very last episode of the series

No comments: