Wednesday, May 02, 2012

Megalist Check-in: #113 - Watch Stargate SG-1 (Season 10)



Today I watched the final episode of Season 10 of Stargate SG-1. Wow. 10 Seasons. That's epic long, and I'm really surprized I stuck with the show that long especially sine I still have no idea what the acronyms stand for, or the ability to spell the names of the alien races or even explain the devices. But, I'll talk more about the show and experience as a whole separately and first just want to check in on season 10 as a season.

Warning: Spoilers for Season 10 of Stargate SG-1 Ahead

As a season as whole, I actually felt that it was a solid season with a nice combination of variety of different types of episodes from long arc, to character history, to a few ones with great comedy and a fair amount of heart to boot.

I particularly liked S10 Ep15 Bounty where they go to Cameron's High School reunion and S10 Ep16 Bad Guys where the team is mistaken for hostage-takers when they appear in a museum on another world - that one was really fun. I also came to like the character of Vala (played by Claudia Black) more and more, even though I think I liked her best as the Han Solo-like character from earlier incarnations, in this season she got a lot more emotional story lines. It's actually been interesting to see a show go on for so long with very little romantic relationship content in it at all.

I like where they ended up coming to in the end and it did make me realize that I did feel like I knew most of the characters really well by the end of it, especially Sam and Daniel; and Teal'c too - although not quite as much. I continued to miss the presence of O'Neill though, and the show wasn't quite the same when they made that shift.

I think my favourite episode was S10 Ep13 The Road Not Taken, following Sam shift into an alternate universe where people appear to be the same, but the harshness and political control is very different. That one was quite subtle and really made me think.

I still can't quite believe I made it all the way through to the very end, from a journey that started last July! Wow. More on the experience of the entire watch soon. Epic, you say? Indeed.

See my entire Mega-List here.

No comments: