Friday, December 15, 2006

Film Fan Fridays for Friday December 15th, 2006!

Hello Film Fans and Fanatics!!!

What a week! There is lots of film news, lists and releases - what could be more fun! Three of our releases this week are Canadian or Canadian co-pros: Cheech, Monkey Warfare and Snowflake all in limited release. Monkey Warfare is showing only at The Royal which has recently been re-opened with technical upgrades and I am personally looking very much forward to seeing what their programming will be! Considering it's begun with Canadian film premiere's I would say it is off to promising start!

More in Canadian film, the 2006 Canada's Top Ten was released this week with an exciting and well rounded selection. I've only seen 3 of the films so far (The Journals of Knud Rasmussen, Manufactured Landscapes and Sur la trace d'Igor Rizzi / On the Trail of Igor Rizzi) and would have to say that not getting a chance to see Away From Her was my biggest disappointment at the film festival this year (all performances I could attend were sold out). 5 of the 10 have been in regular release so far, join me and cheering on another year of great Canadian Film:

Canada's Top Ten 2006
(in alphabetical order)

Away From Her
Congorama
Un Dimache a Kigali / A Sunday in Kigali
The Journals of Knud Rasmussen
Manufactured Landscapes
Monkey Warfare
Radiant City
Sharkwater
Sur la trace d'Igor Rizzi / On the Trail of Igor Rizzi
Trailer Park Boys: The Movie

As we are nearing to the end of the year that means we are getting to awards season. The leader of the pack is always The Golden Globes, which nominations were announced this week. From which we can see some shoe-in's like Helen Mirren (The Queen) and Kate Winslet (Little Children) nominated for best actress: drama, and Forest Whitaker (The Last King of Scotland). I'm not surprized to see Little Miss Sunshine nominated for best picture, but I am surprized that it is in the Comedy/Musical instead of Drama category. Mind you, it might have better chances there instead of going up against some heavy hitters like Babel and Bobby. Then we have the eyebrow raisers, such as the multiple nominations for Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan and 2 dramatic acting nominations for Leonardo Dicaprio (Blood Diamond, The Departed). It will be a very interesting awards season. For the full list of Golden Globe nominations, click here.

Have a great weekend!!

Shannon

Friday December 15th, 2006 Releases

Charlotte's Web
Dir: Gary Winick (13 Going on 30, Tadpole, Sweet Nothing)
Cast: Dakota Fanning, Dominic Scott Kay, Julia Roberts, Oprah Winfrey
USA

Cheech
Dir: Patrice Suavé - directorial film debut
Cast: Patrice Robitaille, François Létourneau, Sharlene Royer
Canada
Limited Release

Eragon
Dir: Stefen Fangmeier - directorial debut
Cast: Edward Speleers, Jeremy Irons, John Malkovich, Robert Carlyle, Rachel Weisz
USA

The Good German
Dir: Steven Soderbergh (Ocean's Eleven, Traffic, Erin Brockovich)
Cast: George Clooney, Cate Blanchett, Tobey Maguire
USA
Limited Release

Monkey Warfare
Writer/Dir: Reginald Harkema (A Girl is a Girl)
Cast: Don McKellar, Tracy Wright, Nadia Litz
Canada
Limited Release

The Pursuit of Happyness
Dir: Gabriele Muccino (Ricordati di me /Remember Me, L'Ultimo bacio / One Last Kiss)
Cast: Wil Smith, Thandie Newton, Jaden Smith, Brian Howe
USA

Snow Cake
Dir: Marc Evans (My Little Eye, Resurrection Man)
Cast: Sigourney Weaver, Alan Rickman, Carrie-Ann Moss, David Fox
UK/Canada
Limited Release

Wednesday December 20th, 2006 Releases

Rocky Balboa
Writer/Dir: Sylvester Stallone (Rocky II, Rocky III, Rocky IV, Staying Alive)
Cast: Sylvester Stallone, Burt Young, Talia Shire, Milo Ventimiglia
USA

**please note this list of releases reflects first run film released in Toronto, Ontario, Canada on Dec 15, 2006**

2 comments:

Potato Print said...

Hi Shannon,

I really enjoy your movie listings, even though I no longer follow films much these days. Maybe one day you will write about the Canadian film board and why your films are so much better than ours.

I think I've never shared with you my passion -- or former passion -- for cinema. I grew up in the late 1960s/early '70s in Madison, Wisconsin, otherwise known as the raging Berkely of the midwest.

In high school I took a very challenging film studies class. On campus downtown, there were perhaps five film societies on campus; each one hosted a film on Fridays and Saturdays. So, for $1 or maybe $1.50 I could see classics from the 1940s. I saw political films, foreign (sexy) films, series based on a single director, and so on.

What an education that was!

I find myself so disappointed in films these days. So much emphasis on plot, so little emphasis on form and texture. I go the the theater about once every six months, otherwise I stick to classics and art films at the vast DVD collections at the public library.

Anyway, I'm talking too much. Mostly to encourage you in your passion, and to let you know that I read your listings.

Shannon said...

Thanks for you comment Caroline! I didn't know you had a (former) passion for film - that is so awesome! It's true that a lot that comes out nowadays isn't all that captivating, but there are some great ones out there!

I went through a few years where I barely watched anything at all in the theatre, some times our interest and focus can change like that. But the past few years I've just been really loving film.

Sounds like you got to see some great things with that film studies class! I love film classes.. I don't care the genre or if it's intro or in depth I just like 'em all!