Friday, November 03, 2006

Film Fan Fridays for Friday November 3rd, 2006!

Hello Film Fans and Fanatics!!!

I am thrilled to announce the World Premiere of BLUE, a short dance film by Elif Isikozlu showing this Saturday November 4th at 9pm as part of the Moving Pictures Festival of Dance and Video on Film. Elif is an abundantly talented woman who directed, choreographed and performed BLUE and I am over the moon with joy to see her vision come to life. Congratulations Elif! See below for festival website which features a still from the film.

All other film news pales in comparison but I do feel the need to inform of a few things here and there. Controversy continues with week with Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan which seems about as culturally inappropriate as you can get but it was a ridiculously HUGE success as part of the Midnight Madness program (read: cult & horror) as part of the film fest. On opening night apparently something went wrong with the projector and Michael Moore tried to fix it. Yes, Bowling for Columbine Michael Moore. He came out of the audience and went to fix it. It didn't get fixed and they had to re-schedule for the next night but everyone was talking about it. We also have Babel in surprizingly limited release but with tons of buzz featuring Brad Pitt and Cate Blanchette.

Festival Watch:
Moving Pictures Festival of Dance and Film on Video
November 2 - 4, 2006 at the Gladstone Hotel, Toronto
www.movingpicturesfestival.com

Planet in Focus International Environmental Film & Video Festival
November 1 - 6, 2006, various locations, Toronto
http://www.planetinfocus.org/

Have a great weekend!!

Shannon

Friday November 3, 2006 Releases

Babel
Dir: Alejandro González Iñárritu (21 Grams, Amores Perros)
Cast: Brad Pitt, Cate Blanchette, Gael Garcia Bernal, Koji Yakusho
USA
Limited Release

Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan
Dir: Larry Charles (Masked and Anonymous)
Cast: Sacha Baron Cohen
USA

The Boynton Beach Club
Dir: Susan Seidelman (Gaudi Afternoon, She-Devil, Desperately Seeking Susan)
Cast: Renee Taylor, Sally Kellerman, Brenda Vaccaro, Dyan Cannon
USA
Limited Release

Flushed Away
Dir: David Bowers & Sam Fell - feature film directorial debut
Voices: Hugh Jackman, Kate Winslet, Ian McKellan, Jean Reno, Bill Nighy
UK/USA

The Santa Clause 3: The Escape
Dir: Michael Lembeck (Connie and Carla, The Santa Clause 2)
Cast: Tim Allen, Martin Short, Alan Arkin, Abigail Breslin, Elizabeth Mitchell
USA

Sleeping Dogs Lie
Dir: Bobcat Goldthwait (Snakes the Clown)
Cast: Melinda Page Hamilton, Bryce Johnson
USA
Limited Release

**please note this list of releases reflects first run film released in Toronto, Ontario, Canada on Nov 3, 2006**

2 comments:

Sacred Suzie said...

I can completely see why Borat is controversial. I must admit, his comment "I support your war of terror" hysterical but most of the commercials just make me uncomfortable. I can't really tell what the satire is trying to say, perhaps it's just making fun of everyone. That's so cool about Michael Moore! I just adore him. Blue sounds wonderful, I wish we had things like that here.

Potato Print said...

Hi Shannon,

I came back early from my blog break because I missed the interaction. It was fabulous, and my brain and soul relaxed a lot. But I missed things like your fierce intensity.

Your celebration of Samhain sounds really great. I love the photos. I was really into tarot last year and then got sick of it. You inspire me to pick it up again.

I flossed my teeth last night in honor of you.