Monday, October 02, 2006

The Maltese Falcon

Director: John Huston (Across the Pacific, The African Queen, Prizzi's Honour)
Cast: Humphrey Bogart, Mary Astor, Peter Lorre, Sydney Greenstreet
USA, 1941

Seen: Sept 25, 2006 at the Bloor Cinema.

Reason to see: It's on my 101 list of films I can't believe I haven't seen, as well as being on many 'best of' lists. It also happened to be at a rep theatre, therefore will be week 13/52 on my #7 of my 101 - See 1 film a week in the theatre for a year. Talk about double duty!

I hadn't seen a film noir flick, and didn't realize this was one so that took me a bit aback at first but then it once settled into that it was a delightfully dark, twisted plot with turns, surprizes, deflection and drama dripping from every line and every moment. To be honest I couldn't really follow it all but I think that was part of the fun, just to let it unfold before you and gasp or question or smile and nod knowing like you knew *that* was coming. Quite a treat.

It was also really great to see a lot of people in the audience on a rainy Monday night. They even clapped and cheered at parts, gotta love the enthusiasm.

Shannon's Overall View:
I enjoyed it
I'd watch it again
I'd recommend it, especially those interesting in Mysteries & Film Noir

More Film Reviews here.

Return to Planet Shannon.

2 comments:

Sacred Suzie said...

Yes, this is definitely a film noir classic! I really loved it too and you definitely just have to "go with it" while watching. That's the brilliance! It's one of my favourite old movies, so much fun. I'm so glad there was a good crowd too, that's awesome.

Jamie said...

Great job of writing a review about a twisting plot without giving away any of the twists! I've seen this flick but ages ago. I may have to revisit it!