Sunday, September 03, 2006

#75 - Go vegetarian for a month

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Complete: August 2006

I was surprized at how this was not really that hard to do at all. It did start just before Lughnasadh, for which I had a nice harvesty celebration - talk about good timing! I didn't go super strict (I had eggs and fish) but it was easy to swap some normal recipes to have beans, chick peas or to have meals that just didn't need meat. Vegetables, fruit, bread, tuna, cheese, yogurt, and the occasional (hehe) chip or two I was a happy girl! Eating out I usually opted for fish & chips because... well I like fries and although there were usually quite a few veggie options Veggie burgers tend to be dry and I'm not a fan of eggplant which is a classic veg substitute. Veggie quesidillias were often a good option. At home, I didn't really feel limited in what I was preparing, I just used what I had. One thing for certain I did not miss preparing meat, washing hands, utensils and cutting boards multiple times. Also, my spending on groceries was a lot less.

I find it interesting that when I told people I was doing this, I mostly came across comments like "Meat is good!", "How can you do that, won't you miss it?" and various other comments about animals. No one asked why...

But why did I choose to put this on my list? I think I thought of it as a challenge, I wasn't sure I could do it. I also do worry about the condition that the animals are breed and raised in. I don't really know a lot about it, mostly because I think I would find it too upsetting. When I went to the CNE this year there was a lot of focus on what felt like a response to something. Lots of posters like "Farmers Feed Cities" and "We work with Nature". I always look forward to seeing the animals, and that was mostly a treat ... but seeing one sow the day after giving birth who had tons of little piggies feeding off her .. which is normal I'm sure they are hungry. But, she was in this metal cage so she couldn't 'roll over and harm' the pigs. Their 'product' more like it. She couldn't turn around at all, it was quite upsetting.

I feel like that should be followed by "I've decided to do this permanently" but, I haven't. I'm not sure why. Ironically when I made my grocery list this week (I always write two, 1 rough and 1 good - funny I don't do that with any other writing in my life..) and when I transposed my good list I forgot to included the meat.

Edit: I will admit around the 3rd week I was getting strong hankerings for things like Swiss Chalet's rotisserie chicken, but on reflection I believe this was more a craving for salt (which I've been reducing recently) than for the meat.

Return to my 101 in 1001.

Return to Planet Shannon.

4 comments:

Jamie said...

Congratulations on this accomplishment! A whole month to try any new habit is really something. And they say it's formed after 21 days, so no wonder you forgot the meat :)

Sacred Suzie said...

This is a big accomplishment Shannon. I am totally impressed! Reducing meat is not an easy thing to do and I really respect you for even just trying to reduce it in your life.

It makes me sad that most people were like "all for meat". I don't think there's anything wrong with giving animals a break in this way and for learning what it's like to live without it.

Excellent stuff Shannon. Big hug to you!

The Good Girl said...

Hi! I found you through Lights, Camera, Action, and I really like your blog.

Well done on this! The 101 in 1001 in such a good idea, I may have to think about doing it myself. I would love to be veggie, I just don't have the willpower. Also I wouuld have to make my mother cook two different meals, or not eat with my family, which would suck. Maybe when I move out. But anyway, really admire you for that!

GG

Shannon said...

Thanks everyone for your support and kudo's!! I really appreciate it! I'm not sure if I mentioned it in my original post but I do want to acknowlege that as I only cook for myself that this challenge would be a lot easier than someone who has others to take care or, or others that feed them.

Welcome to Planet Shannon GG! I totally encourage trying out the 101 in 1001, its been a lot of fun, and a lot of work too. I'm loving it so far.